Tuesday, 23 February 2010

Fisheries....20/02/2010







It was a beautiful sunny and frosty morning so what could be nicer I thought than a walk to get the day off to a good start! So off I set for the Fisheries! Driving along the lanes I did wonder if I had done the right thing! The road was a little hairy in places as the sides of the road where the water had drained from the fields and hedgerow was iced over, caution needed! The drive down the track to the Fisheries was not much better, potholes that had filled with water had frozen over and the sun that by now was shining brightly shone on the ice and it was as though a hall of mirrors were in front of me, quite blinding at times. After parking up I placed bird seed on top of a few fence posts and on the birdtable that was positioned by a hedgerow. Off I set and the first sightings were Magpies and two Canada Geese in a field adjoining one of the paddocks. Starlings flew to the top of a tree and on closer inspection I could see there were also three Redwings and two Mistle Thrush. Along the walk across the top of the hill above the Pools were Blue & Great Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Blackbird, Wren and Greenfinch in the shrubbery and trees! I spotted a Buzzard two fields away in a tree, it hawked the edge of the partly covered in snow and frosty field! I watched it do this three times and then it flew over the trees and I lost sight of it, no calling today, too cold. A Green Woodpecker flew to a tree and rested for a few seconds and then away it went. The sun by now was giving off a little warmth, either that or I had so much packing on I was warming up by walking! On returning to my car I scanned the paddocks, a mixed flock of Fieldfare, Redwing, Mistle Thrush and Starling were feeding! I tried to do a headcount but they were moving pretty swiftly almost in unison, I gave up the counting and just enjoyed the view of them! The bird seed on the fence posts was being enjoyed by a charm of Goldfinches, lovely to see! I set off for home and at the end of the track I spotted a Kestrel, I reached for my camera and off it flew! I will get a photo of it one day as more often than not I see a Kestrel on the telegraph wires or hovering in this area. I can't wait to see the return of the Skylarks and Swallows in this area as for one thing it will be in warmer weather days..well hopefully warmer days!

4 comments:

  1. A nice account of your weekend walk Pam!
    I really like your pics,especially the Redwing image!
    Hopefully this week will see the last of the snow and we'll soon be listening for Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ruth! I am pleased that you enjoyed the read.
    Ooh, yes! Chiffchaffs and Willow Warblers will soon be seen and heard, I can't wait. A Ring Ouzel was reported at the Fisheries last year so I will be keeping my eyes peeled just now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooooh a Ring Ouzel would be a nice bird for you at your Fisheries,I've never seen one of those!
    Fingers crossed for you that it returns again this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be a first for me, Ruth! Be great to get a photo of one too, though that would be greedy.lol!!

    ReplyDelete