Wednesday, 10 February 2010

My first Snowdrops sighting of 2010!....27/01/2010


My first Snowdrops of the year were found on Monday (25/01/10) in a Churchyard, the Church is adjacent to a Deer Park. Lovely to see such a welcome sight and a sign that Spring is not too far away now. The Fallow Deer in the park were munching away on what looked to be sugar beet or parsnips, hard to tell at a distance from them, plus there is an electric fence that seperates them from the big house in the grounds of the park and of course Joe public. A couple of Ravens flew in the distance, giving their distinctive call as they flew! Two Mistle Thrush were found feeding amongst the Deer along with Magpies, Carrion Crows and a Blackbird. A Great Spotted Woodpecker was heard and a flock of Long-tailed Tits put in several appearances as they flew from tree to tree around the Churchyard. On a dull and cold day the wildlife seen and of course the Snowdrops brightened the day no end!

5 comments:

  1. I think Snowdrops always brighten the day and raise the spirits don't they.....a lovely clump you found there Pam and along with your bird sightings it sounds like a nice visit to the Churchyard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are a cheery little flower, Ruth. Strangely enough I had a walk around the same Churchyard this morning. The Snowdrops in my photo were the largest clump in flower at the time of taking the photo, today there are masses of them in flower, on such a cold too! Brave little flowers. A quiet day for birds today, I will write up on my walk when I have caught up datewise on my Blog.

    Thanks for the comment,I hope you are having a good day and keeping warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruth, I meant on such a cold 'day'...I reckon the weather is getting to me.lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol,I knew what you meant my friend.....tis a bitterly cold one today......nice in the sunshine tho!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good job someone understands me.lol!

    ReplyDelete