Monday, 15 March 2010

RSPB Sandwell Valley....14/03/2010

It had been a long while since I had visited RSPB Sandwell Valley Nature Reserve so that was to be today's afternoon outing! The lake was surprisingly quiet and in all honesty this was how it had been on previous visits, hence that is why Sandwell Valley is not a regular on my 'to visit' list! I suppose being less than 5 miles from Birmingham City Centre and also the West Midlands being landlocked it is not going to be bustling with Waders and Wildfowl.!! Having said that the natives are friendly, well I would say that being a Brummie myself.lol!! On every visit there I have found the RSPB staff & volunteers to be especially helpful and always keen to have a chat...us Brummies/West Midlanders are always ready for a friendly natter.lol!!
The reserve is adjoined to Sandwell Valley Country Park so there are usually lots of people out walking if not particularly bird/wildlife watching.
There are alterations going on at the reserve at present, a new and much larger car park, the garden is being given an overhaul which judging by the previous garden will certainly be a wonderful haven for Butterflies/Dragonflies and all sorts of insects!

Getting back to the birds now and on the lake were Teal, Pochard, Wigeon, Gadwall, Shoveler, Oystercatcher, G C Grebe, Little Grebe, Shelduck, Coot, Moorhen and numerous B H Gulls. In the marsh area a Common Snipe was spotted. At the feeding station were numerous Chaffinch and Greenfinch along with Bullfinch, House Sparrow, Reed Bunting, Robin and Woodpigeon. The feeding station is always a pleasure to stand and view as it is always bustling with birds and the odd rat.lol!!!
I saw my first and only Ring-necked Parakeets at Sandwell and on enquiring about them was told that they do not frequent the feeders as much now as they are tending to go to garden feeders....what a garden tick.lol!
The sun was too low and bright to get any decent photographs today, which I suppose is as good an excuse as saying it was too dull to explain my lack of photo's, or maybe it is just my photographic skills. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment