Thursday, 15 April 2010

A couple of Swallows and songsters!....10th & 11th/04/2010







A gloriously sunny and warm morning saw me off early to the Fisheries for my Saturday and for the first time Sunday solitude! As I drove down the lane to the Fisheries (Sat) I spotted a Swallow on a telephone wire, I couldn't stop as there was a car not far behind me!! This was my first of the year in this area. "Oh well" I thought, there are plenty of weeks ahead to stop at this site and hopefully get a photo. Skylarks were again singing over the fields which now were showing green shoots of the crop sown, the fields looked a treat. Something pleasing seeing neat rows of vivid green shoots in such an expanse of ground!

My highlight today was the male Blackcap and Chiffchaff that were singing for all they were worth! I was especially pleased to see the Blackcap, my first of the year, excluding the Blackcap in my garden who sadly has now departed after being a joy to see in my garden over the long, long winter. The usual species were around and about, Robin, Dunnock etc. Plenty of Bumblebees were buzzing low on the ground and settling in amongst leaf mould and low vegetation. I found my first Coltsfoot of the season and noticed the nettles were starting to show signs of growth. Surprisingly I saw only one Peacock butterfly around the brambles and hedgerows. As I drove down the track towards the road a male Yellowhammer suddenly flew out of the hedgerow and perched on the wire fencing! What a treat, it was only a few feet away from me, I cautiously managed a couple of photo's and then just viewed this beautiful, colourful bird!

On my way home I made a point of driving slowly as I neared the paddocks were the Swallow was seen, I parked up in the entrance to the paddock on seeing that there were two on the wire! I managed a couple of photo's before they flew off, they were most confiding! They were a pleasure to see on such a lovely morning, well a pleasure on any morning.lol!!



Sunday morning and a much colder start to the day, noticeably cooler than the previous day. Highlights today a Wren, Buzzard (which I did not see or hear on Saturday, most unusual), Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Jays (x5) in an adjoining field and a lone Swallow flew over the fishing pools.



A pleasing two mornings spent ambling in solitude!

2 comments:

  1. What lovely ambles you had Pam and how lucky with the Yellowhammer,tis a stunning pic well captured! Glad that the Swallows obliging on the return trip too.......they have posed very nicely for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all of your kind words, Ruth! A lovely time of year isn't it with the summer plumaged birds and the return of the summer migrants!

    I am ambling again tomorrow (17th) all being well.lol!!

    ReplyDelete