Friday, 16 April 2010

A melodious Willow Warble!....11/04/2010








After my early morning walk and a refreshing cuppa it was time to set off for Upton Warren. The Moors Pools was to be the first destination. Surprisingly only a handful of cars on the car park, I thought it would have been chocca! Walking down the lane that leads to a hide the unmistakable song of a Willow Warbler was heard from a wooded area. No sight of the bird just sound, so this would be the area to walk around after the Pools had been viewed. On the water were Coot, Moorhen, G C & L Grebe, Common Snipe, Shoveler, Shelduck, Oystercatcher, Little Ringed Plover, Tufted Duck, Mallard, Teal, Lapwing, Cormorant, Heron and a super flypast over the water by a Kingfisher. A good selection of birds to have a relaxing viewing of and the sun shone faintly so visibilty was fairly good. Walking to and from the hide birds seen were Blue & Great Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Reed Bunting, Chaffinch, Robin, Blackbird and a Great Spotted Woodpecker was heard drumming. Once in the wooded area the Willow Warbler was soon found, high on the top of a tree, delightfully warbling away! A Treecreeper was also spotted on a tree close by. This area leads on to a few small pools and whilst walking by them a Grass Snake was spotted, coiled up and taking in the warm sunshine. It soon realised that it was not alone and slid of in to the vegetation! This was my first ever sighting of a Grass Snake, I was chuffed to bits! It looked to me very similiar to a Slow worm that I had seen last year at Knapp & Papermill WWT Reserve. Of course the Grass Snake was much bigger but I did think there were similarities. After all this excitement it was time for a rest and lunch!



On and around the Flashes were Avocet (11) and very flighty they were to today, they looked a treat as they chased and then had tussles as they landed on the water. Spring is definately in the air! Other highlights were L R P.s, Common Snipe, Green Sandpiper, Curlew, Redshank, Lapwing and a lone Swallow!

A long day but a great birding day today.

ps: Just thought I had better mention that I haven't missed an r out of my title! ;-D

2 comments:

  1. A nice account of your day Pam with some delightful images to illustrate it!
    I'm still waiting for my first Willow warble (I've not miised an r out neither! lol) of the year amazingly......hopefully it'll not be too long off now......it's a sound I love to listen to!
    Super shots of the WW and I like the Snipe images especailly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha!I wouldn't think it will be long for your first Willow Warble of the year, Ruth!

    Thank you for your kind comments on my photo's.

    ReplyDelete