Wednesday, 28 April 2010

Springtime in my garden.




At long last Spring has arrived and brought with it beautiful fresh, sharp colours making the cold Winter that we endured seem a long time ago! The Tulips, Daffodils, Forget-me-knots, Primulas and Cowslips are all in flower and looking a picture! Birds are gathering nesting material and I feel sure that Robins are feeding chicks as they are busily flying to and fro the feeders throughout the day. A female Blackbird has been very busy gathering nesting material today and taking it in to the conifer hedge while the male perched in several places around the garden like a sentry, lazy wotsit why don't they help the female!!!! Coal Tits have been frequent visitors to the feeders also this week so perhaps they are feeding chicks. A pair of Blue Tits have taken up residence in a House Sparrow terrace nest box, I can watch them from a kitchen window which the nest box is above, they are very busy especially first thing in the mornings! The nest boxes in trees are not to my knowledge being used, they have been inspected by Blue & Great Tits but as far as I can tell they are empty of birds! Still time for them to be used though! The trees and shrubs are leafing and budding up well now, lovely to see the freshness of the leaves when they unfurl. Plenty of insects around especially Bumble bees but I have only had a few sightings of butterflies and they are too quick for me to ID, I would guess at them being Peacocks though! The sunset this evening was a beauty, the best I have seen for a long time with such striking colours!

I cannot end my Springtime writing without a few photo's and a poem that is the epitome of Spring thoughts.

I wandered lonely as a cloud
a poem by William Wordsworth


I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced, but they
Out-did the sparkling leaves in glee;
A poet could not be but gay,
In such a jocund company!
I gazed—and gazed—but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.

2 comments:

  1. A wonderful account of Spring in your garden Pam,it certainly sounds as if all your visitors are very busy......well the females anyway! lol.That's a stunning sunset,with wonderful colours!
    Having spent time at Grasmere last week your Daffodil poem is very apt.......and nice to re-read too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very apt indeed the poem for you, Ruth! I know you had a wonderful holiday in the Lake District and with good weather too, always a bonus!
    Two weeks on from posting and the Daffodils are all but over now, I do have some 'Doubles' that are still flowering well as they are in a shady part of my garden.
    The Blue Tits appear to have deserted the Sparrow nestbox, I wonder why that is,such a pity.

    Thanks for your comments, Ruth! I am pleased that you enjoyed re-reading the inspirational poem.

    ReplyDelete