Thursday, 13 May 2010

Busy birds in my garden....13/05/2010

Starlings are eating all in their path at present and not fussy with waiting their turn at the feeders. The poor Dunnocks are getting knocked off the feeders as the Starlings descend on them, at least the Dunnocks ground feed afterwards and hoover the dropped seed up. Starling numbers have increased from 2-3 during Winter and now number 8-10 visiting my garden. I am looking forward to seeing and hearing their youngsters when they fledge, a noisy lot but fun to watch. Not much sign of any birds nesting in my garden. The Blue Tits appear to have deserted the nest they had begun in the Sparrow Terrace nest box. Blackbirds are feeding well but no sign of any youngsters yet and a couple of Carrion Crows are stuffing their beaks to full capacity with scones, sultanas and anything else I put down for ground feed, so they have young to feed no doubt. They look quite comical when they have filled their beaks, they look as though they have a mouthful of teeth! A pair of Jackdaws have been in the garden a few times carrying off food for their young, this is the only time I ever see them in my garden, as with the Crows they are very hesitant for such a big bird. Magpies are regulars, just two but no doubt they will have youngsters in tow soon. A male Bullfinch was on the feeders yesterday (12th), a pleasure to see as they rarely hang around for long. A Greenfinch pair have returned yet I hardly saw them through the coldest winter we had for yonks...strange that. A pair of Robins are I believe nesting in a neighbours garden, the cheek of them, eat my food and nest elsewhere.lol! I do believe that if I took the feeders down then I would see more nesting in my garden, I do wonder if it is because my garden is not often devoid of birds, that is unless the Sparrowhawks are about! I almost forgot, the 3-4 Feral Pigeons are still daily visitors. I had expected them to have found another food source while I was away on holiday as the scones etc were not put out daily, but not to be, they are the first to descend as soon as the food is on the ground.lol! Oh well, they are birds and have to eat...all are welcome if they are hungry...even the Sparrowhawks.lol! Swifts are back over the gardens this week, I counted 4 initially but last night (13th) I counted 9! They were flying fairly low enough for me to hear their screaming as they swooped over the gardens! Brill...Summer is almost here!

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading about your busy birds while having my morning coffee Pam,good that your Starling numbers are increasing too! My Starlings are devouring my home made fat balls at last.....I made them in the winter (remember I blocked up the kitchen sink!! lol) but they'd been largely ignored.....now they can't get enough of them.......maybe they needed to mature a bit! lol.
    Great news on the Swifts......that's my favourite summer sound too......lets hope the weather soon catches on to the fact!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well since your posted your comment the weather has caught on, Ruth.lol!! It has been a gloriously warm sunny weekend. Strange why the Starlings ignored the fatballs you made and now are devouring them? Puzzling isn't it? Not much has changed in the garden, the Blue Tits cannot make their mind up whether to use the box or not unless of course I have more than one pair investigating. Now that's a thought.

    I am hoping to catch up with updating my blog this week, surprising how quickly time flies and posts mount up.

    Enjoy the sunshine and thanks for your always welcome comments, Ruth.

    ReplyDelete