Sunday, 13 June 2010

Garden and Fisheries update.... Fisheries 12/06/2010









My garden is being besieged by Feral Pigeons...bless em!! I had 10 in my garden two days last week, I don't mind the odd 3-6 but 10 is too much! I have temporarily stopped putting out ground feed in the hope that they will get fed up waiting for the smaller birds to drop seed from the feeders. The Feral Pigeons descend on the food when I put it out and it is seemingly putting the Blackbirds and Dunnocks off! I was pleased to see a male Bullfinch in my garden a couple of times and the Greenfinches are returning though only two at present, I hope they bring their young to feed soon. The Blue Tits that have nested in the H Sparrow terrace nest box seem to have deserted again, i just hope that the chicks they were feverishly feeding last week have fledged unbeknowingly to me. I did hear Blue Tits chicks calling yesterday in the trees in the garden but with the foliage it was difficult to see any. I have seen a juvenile Blackbird, Dunnock and Woodpigeon in my garden. Not a lot at all, I would have expected more in the garden by now.



The Fisheries has also gone quiet with birdlife! Chiffchaff, Whitethroat, Songthrush and Wren are often heard but not seen, however yesterday morning (12th) I watched a small flock of Long-tailed Tits preening in the trees after bathing in a small pool, a lovely sight! I was thrilled to see Chimney Sweep Moths flitting in the vegetation, this is the first year that I have become aware of this moth, my first sighting being at Rutland Water Nature Reserve (more on Rutland in another post). Speckled Wood was the only butterfly seen today.

2 comments:

  1. I'm fascinated by your Chimney Sweep Moth Pam.......what a stunner and a great name too.......I'll certainly be looking out for this one next time i'm out and about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Chimney Sweep/Sweeper Moth ( I see that it is sometimes called by both names)is small but with it's Black colouring you shouldn't miss it! Good luck with your search, Ruth!

    ReplyDelete