Wednesday, 25 August 2010

Chironomidae....22/08/2010



What a sweet little Midge! I found it on the tiles in my front porch, it was lucky that I didn't tread on it as it was so tiny!

The Chironomidae, commonly known as non-biting midges, is a large, cosmopolitan family of nematocerans whose adults are small and delicate and superficially resemble mosquitoes.

No doubt tiny insects do not appeal to everyone but on close inspection I find them rather endearing and fascinating...I must get a life.lol!!!

2 comments:

  1. It's almost Fairy like Pam.....and even better with it being a non-biting type!
    You have taken a nice pic of it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind comment, Ruth! It is a dainty looking midge, as you say fairy like. All midges should be of the non-biting type.lol!!

    ReplyDelete