Friday, 6 August 2010

From Larva to Ladybird....19th July-2nd August 2010
















I have been following the progress of the Harlequin Ladybird larva since I first spotted it on a Buddlaei bush in my garden. The date was the 19th July. It then settled into a static state on a leaf from the 23rd July until 2nd August when it emerged. I was lucky to have been at home and caught the action taking place. The process of emergence started at 10.11am and I periodically photographed the Ladybird, the last photo with the Ladybirds spots showing much clearer was taken at 14.49pm.

6 comments:

  1. An amazing sequence of pictures Pam,I'm so pleased that you were in the right place at the right time and able to record this fascinating event!
    It's something i've certainly never seen before so great to follow your stunning shots,well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pleased you enjoyed the story of from Larva to Ladybird, Ruth! I was very lucky to be in the right place at the right time...not often that happens with me.lol!!!
    I am now in the process of following a caterpillar from larva to pupation etc etc!! I haven't ID'd the caterpillar yet...two of them in fact! Watch this space..well hopefully.lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with the caterpillars progress Pam,I shall be awaiting the end results with baited breath!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ruth! I think we may have a long wait for the results. They are Large White Butterfly Larvae and I have just read up on them. They could be overwintering which last for around 8 months and produce the spring brood! It is a bit late for them to be the Summer brood. Hopefully they will not get predated or found by an Ichneumon fly which deposits its eggs inside young larvae.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like we'll have to be patient and wait until the Spring then! Fingers crossed the larvae will make it through for you Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patience is not a virtue of mine, Ruth.lol!!
    No change, so it is looking like a long, long wait!


    Yes, fingers crossed the larvae make it through to Spring 2011!

    ReplyDelete