Monday, 23 August 2010

A Summer update!



















A Summer update...who am I kidding! It seems more like Autumn to me, dew on the grass most mornings, spiders webs glistening in the early morning sunshine (when it deems to shine), less and less sightings of Butterflies, the only saving grace is that the garden birds are slowly building back to sightings of species not seen for a few weeks or months in the case of the Wren. I spotted a juv Wren in my garden on Wednesday (18th), the first I have seen in my garden since the 1st week of April. A welcome sight too after fears for their survival rate after the harsh Winter. The following day (19th) the Wren was picking off the greenfly on the Sweet Pea plants! There will be plenty to keep the Wren going for a good week or two if this damp weather keeps up! Blackbirds are returning also Great and Blue Tits, the Great Tits looking especially smart! Butterflies are few and far between since the weather cooled. During a warm spell I had Comma and Peacock regularly on the Buddleias along with what seemed swarms of Hoverflies and various bees on the Vipers Bugloss, not forgetting the Ladybirds. I have not seen so many Ladybirds for a few summers as I have this summer, our native Ladybirds and also Harlequins. One Ladybird had a lucky escape one day last week, I had started to iron the washing that I had just brought in and a Ladybird appeared as I turned over a T-shirt to iron the other side....one lucky Ladybird! I put it outside into a planter of flowers to recuperate after the shock. The Ladybird not the T-shirt!

Visits to Brandon Marsh, Upton Warren and Lower Smite Farm were partaken during the last week of July and early August. Highlights at Brandon Marsh were Little Egret, Black-tailed Godwit, Hobby, Green Woodpecker, Kingfisher and a Brown Hawker. Very quiet at Upton Warren with highlights here being Common Tern, Curlew, Little Ringed Plover, Lapwing, Beautiful Demoiselle, Comma and Peacock butterflies!
Lower Smite Farm was a pleasure as always to walk around! Highlights being Goldfinch, Chaffinch, House Sparrows, Green-veined White, Common Blue, Gatekeeper, Common Darter, Ruddy Darter and a few Froglets were seen along the walk...tiny little creatures! I am just glad I spotted them whilst walking!
I am seeing more Moth species than bird species this month, in fact trying to ID them is harder than trying to photograph them!

I visited the Birdfair at Rutland Water on Saturday (21st August), my first visit and enjoyed every minute of it! Chatted to some really friendly people on the stands and thoroughly enjoyed the Optics and Art Marquees. Saw Simon King, Chris Packham and Nick Baker, they didn't ask for my autograph so I didn't ask for theirs.lol!!! A very pleasant day all in all and hopefully on my next visit (probably leave it a year) I will stop over and visit the Reserve as well as the Fair as there was not enough time in one day and it is such a super Reserve!!

2 comments:

  1. Great to read your "summer" update Pam,it's been dreadful hasn't it! Mind I'm also glad that we've not had a return of the awful heat of June........there's no pleasing some folk is there! lol
    Super images in this post,the Acorn study is nice as is the Peacock but my favourite has to be the comma.....an awesome capture,well done!!
    I'm looking forward to getting back to some serious birding in September.....and who knows we might just have an Indian summer to come yet!
    Fancy Simon King not asking for your autograph!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a dreadful summer, Ruth! Where has the warm sunshine gone???
    I am pleased you enjoyed the update and the photographs, thanks for your kind comments. My favourite photo is the Acorn study, I took the chance of a photo before the Squirrels nab them to stash away.lol!!
    It will be good to get back to some serious birding and that Indian summer will do nicely thank you. A good few walks should pay dividends in the Autumn, hopefully!
    I know, the cheek of Simon King.lol!!

    ReplyDelete