Monday, 15 November 2010

O'er the fields!....13th & 14th November 2010








My weekend began with a surprise visitor early on Saturday morning! A Blackcap (m) in my garden feeding on the halved apples that I have started to put out on the apple trees now that the weather is decidedly colder! I have for the past 3 years had a pair of Blackcaps in my garden during the first week of December, so this was a welcome surprise to see one so early. I have to say I have not spotted one since, they normally linger on the apples which gives me a chance of spotting them!

Anyway, that was a great start to my day so off I went to the Fisheries with a bounce in my step (by car in reality.lol)!! My first sighting was a flock of Siskins, lovely to see and hear as they flew from one tree to the next. Scanning the fields I could see fairly large numbers of Starlings and Redwings feeding . A couple of Pheasants pranced about looking very agitated, nothing new there then.lol! Magpies, Woodpigeons and Carrion Crows were also numerous in the fields. A Buzzard was heard and then sighted, it was being mobbed by a couple of Crows. Sparrowhawk x 2, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Blue Tit, Robin and Blackbird were other species seen, surprisingly no Long-tailed Tits today. It felt a warm sunshine this morning so off came my gloves as I walked but the hat stayed on, well all your heat escapes from your head.lol!! After a couple of hours of 'Saturday solitude' I headed for home.

The weather on Sunday morning was not so inspiring being dull, gloomy and quite cold. The afternoon brightened a little, just a little, so a walk down Sugar Loaf Lane bridlepath was the chosen destination. Not too much to see down the bridlepath, the odd Blackbird was as good as it got, though Blackbirds 'bless em' are lovely to see at anytime. Instead of walking the length of the bridlepath a walk along the Public Footpath through one of the fields was a good idea as it turned out. The horses in the field looked friendly enough, thankfully they were.lol!! Fieldfares..at last!!! My first sighting of them this Autumn/Winter! Not close views were had of them but they were still great to see! Redwings were also seen in the berry trees along the hedgerow along with Blackbird, Robin, Wren, Dunnock and Chaffinch. The highlight (apart from the Fieldfares) were the Corvids coming into roost. Various sized flocks flew high above the fields and with the sun eventually appearing late afternoon the sunset made a super back-drop to the spectacle. The only thing that spoilt the view were the electricity pylons, then again these were being used for roosting so not all bad I suppose!

4 comments:

  1. Nice to read about your weekend Pam and a nice start too with the return of your garden Blackcaps!
    Isn't it funny how a de-tour or a change of plan can result in a good find ot two.......glad you got your Fieldfares eventually!
    I love the pics the sunset ones are very atmospheric and I especially like the green hill shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really pleased to see the Blackcap Ruth! I still haven't seen one since though, never mind it is still early days.
    Yes, a good move taking a different direction. It was much colder walking through the open field than the bridleway which is fairly well sheltered with trees and shrubs either side of it, it was good to get back there to warm up a little.lol!
    Clinched the Fieldfares..I just need the Waxwings now.lol!! I still haven't a Dipper on my year list so that will be one to look for sometime in the next few weeks!

    Thanks for your kind comments and I am pleased that you enjoyed the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you'll catch up with some Waxwings before the year is out they seem to be everywhere at the moment.......good luck with your Dipper hunt too.......it'll be a bit cold around mountain streams at this time of year though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm...Waxwings everywhere but in my neck of the woods.lol!! With the weather set to turn very cold by the end of next week I may get to see one or two!
    Possibly on a Dipper hunt tomorrow Ruth! I will wrap up warmly.lol!!

    ReplyDelete