Friday, 25 February 2011

A walk in the long awaited sunshine....24/02/2011

A gloriously sunny and mild morning was too nice to waste being indoors! So an early morning start....well 8.30am is fairly early....and I was off to Brake Lane for a peaceful walk and fresh air! I enjoy this walk as there is normally a few people about who are either walking dogs, horse riding, jogging, cycling or just enjoying a walk. I do not feel isolated when on my own here which makes the walk more enjoyable.

As I got out of my car to get kitted up with wellies etc Blue Tits which are normally in this area were calling and a Song Thrush was in full song in one of the large gardens. As I walked down the lane I heard a Skylark, I looked up and it was flying over, so my first sighting of the year as on the 12th February I could hear but not see the Skylark. The 'egg field' had been freshly ploughed and looked much neater than when strewn with eggshells.lol! Rooks, Crows and Magpies where seen in surrounding fields.
Along the lane I saw Chaffinch, Blackbird and Long-tailed Tits. The bridleway was shall we say quite a quagmire, I walked carefully as I would have looked a sorry sight if I had slipped.lol! It will be good when walking on drier ground in the coming months, well hopefully it will be drier. As I squelched my way to the top of the bridleway I stopped periodically to look for Goldcrests but none today, however a Great Spotted Woodpecker was drumming the whole time as I walked up the hill. Once at the top of the hill I spotted 3 Great Spotted Woodpeckers! One was at the very top of a tree and two were in a tree not far from it. I presume the single GSW was the one that had been drumming as the drumming had ceased, the two GSW's flew away after a short while and then the drumming could be heard again as I continued my walk. Blue & Great Tits were frequently encountered and Pied Wagtails were in the paddock along with 8 muddy looking ponies. I lingered several times in the hope of seeing Treecreeper and Nuthatch but none seen today.
As I arrived at the lake/pond a Mute Swan was looking very threatening towards the Canada Geese as it walked towards them with neck curved back and wings half raised, apparently this stance is known as 'busking', a threat display. I had seen and heard a flock of Canada Geese go over a few times on my walk, I presume they had been ushered off by the Swan several times. A Heron was enjoying the sun as it perched on a bank, Mallards, Coots, Moorhens and Gulls were on the water. Plenty of Corvids and Gulls in the fields that are on either side of the road beyond the railway bridge but not a Fieldfare or Redwing to be seen today. A Robin sang beautifully in a tree that was on the edge of a garden by the lake, the Robin looked and sounded a treat in the sunshine and with a rare blue sky as a backdrop I thought I would record the Robin as a lovely reminder of such a lovely Spring like day, the result however was not as lovely as I was hoping for.lol!!
A Sparrowhawk flew over the fields as I started on the walk back to my car and 2 Buzzards gave a great display of soaring! I could watch Buzzards all day, they seem so laid back when soaring giving a sense of freedom and at the same time power...flying high... magic!
After almost three hours walking and lingering it was time to head home as I was desperate for a .......................cuppa and a biccie! An enjoyable walk in sunshine in the main, it clouded over somewhat late morning!



Musical tones from a Robin..which were rudely interrupted.lol!


Common Buzzard Buteo Buteo

2 comments:

  1. Nice to read an account of your muddy weekend wanderings Pam!
    Glad that you got to see as well as hear the Skylark on this occasion.
    Your Buzzard video is very impressive......such a shame about the Robin's song being so rudely interupted though! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You win some you lose some a Ruth. Some good the Robin belting out it's territory song with that in the background! I could see the funny side of it later but not at the time,lol!

    Thanks for your kind comment!

    ReplyDelete