Saturday, 26 February 2011

Splish, splash, splosh!....26/02/2011

The rain had finally ceased so off I went to Bunkers Hill Wood to walk along the bridleway which is alongside part of the wood and ends at Roman Way, where the Waxwings had been sighted several times over the winter. I checked the Pine and Holly trees for Goldcrests, not a sausage, I mean a Goldcrest to be seen. The walk was muddy underfoot so care had to be taken, the trouble is you can miss a bird whilst looking down, never mind safety first! Plenty of Blue Tits seen and heard on the whole walk this morning and a few Great Tits occasionally seen. I hadn't walked far when the clouds came over, the wind picked up and the rain came down!! Joy of joys!!! A Yellowhammer flew on to the top of a hedgerow while I was sheltering under a tree, a lovely bright male looking as fed up as I was with the weather.lol!! Chaffinch and 3 Hen Pheasants in a field were the only other birds seen while I sheltered from the wind and rain. The small wood gave a little shelter from the gale..well gusty wind...and a Nuthatch was seen briefly. I lurked in the wood for quite a while but the only other species seen was a Grey Squirrel which seemingly followed me around the wood though no doubt there was more than one Squirrel. In the hedgerows along the path at Roman Way were Blackbird, Starling, Long-tailed Tit, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Dunnock, one each of Goldfinch and Greenfinch and a small flock of House Sparrows. I was particularly pleased with the House Sparrows sighting and watched them for a while as they perched in the hedgerow, delightful little birds that are sadly in great decline. On the return walk I sighted a Buzzard soaring probably the one that I had heard mewing earlier, Green Woodpecker was also heard several times but not seen today.

Overall an enjoyable couple of hours, just a pity the sun didn't shine as it did on Thursday. At least it proves that I am not just a 'fair weather' birder.lol!!


My companion in the woods!

Shelter!


A Yellowhammer waiting for the sun to shine!

I wouldn't have been surprised to see a few Ducks in this pool of water!

2 comments:

  1. Good on your for perseving despite the rain Pam,that's a lovely capture of the Yellowhammer!
    Nice that you've found some House Sparrows to watch too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ruth. Though it was a wet walk it was a good one. Somehow you forget the rain when you see such rarities as the House Sparrows, well they are rare to me anyway.lol!

    ReplyDelete