Sunday, 17 April 2011

North Norfolk...Day 3.

An early morning short walk in Wells Wood produced a few nice birds! Songs and calls from Chaffinch, Robin, Wren and Chiffchaff were lovely to hear on an otherwise quiet and sunny morning. A Wren and Chiffchaff came surprisingly close as they flew from trees to shrubs, great having such close views of them. A Sedge Warbler was also in full song and I was lucky enough and pleased to get a half decent photo!

My first visit to Cley Spy this morning! A great shop and the art gallery (BIRDscapes gallery) on site was a pleasure to walk around! Such stunning artwork...when I win the lottery I will return and purchase a few nice works of art.lol!! I was tempted to buy a Camo set, trews, top and headgear but was dissuaded by my daughter. Maybe she is buying me a set for Christmas as a surprise..then again maybe not.lol!!

On to Salthouse and an amble around. The sun was beginning to warm up nicely by now! Highlights were Swallow, Skylark, Redshank, L R Plover, Linnet, Meadow Pipit, Heron, a smart male Wheatear and my first of the year Stonechat (m)! A Sandwich Tern was seen but I missed it! After lunch and an enjoyable coffee from the renowned 'Coffee man' at Salthouse a relax in the sunshine was most acceptable before setting off for Cley.

This was to be my first walk along the East Bank at Cley! Greylag, Lapwing, Redshank, Oystercatcher, Black-tailed Godwit and Grey Heron were seen on the marshes with Kestrel and a Marsh Harrier flying overhead also 2 Sandwich Terns which I did not miss this time. The target bird today was Shorelark which was quickly found as a few other birders were already in the area where the Shorelarks were feeding. A super little bird! Seven Shorelarks were counted as they dotted about in the grassy areas and shingle. They were soon to be spooked as a couple with a dog (on a lead) walked across the top path. The birds returned soon afterwards...a flock of them! As they settled once again in there favooured spot 15 were counted and there probably c18 all told. A pleasant hour was spent viewing the birds from a safe distance so as not to disturb them.

After refreshments at Cley Visitor Centre a walk to the hides was taken. The sun was giving off some good heat by now so it was good to get into the hides to cool down, I cannot believe I said that after the bitterly cold Winter.lol! Birds seen from the hides in no particular order were Dunlin, Redshank. Black-tailed Godwits, Avocets, Coot, Moorhen, Mute Swan, Shelduck, Mallard, Greylag, Ruff, Wigeon, Teal, Lapwing, Sandwich Terns, L B B Gull, Marsh Harrier and a Stoat was spotted slinking into the reedbeds. Goldfinch and Greenfinch were seen on the carpark.
Another brill day in glorious sunshine!




Salthouse.




East Bank, Cley.

East Bank, Cley.
Cley Marshes.

2 comments:

  1. Another splendid read Pam,what a great holiday you had!
    So you fancied going commando did you!!! lol.....perhaps just as well your daughter persuaded you otherwise!! lol
    A great pic of the little Sedge Warbler,they are often heard more than seen aren't they!
    I've enjoyed reading your Norfolk reports very much Pam......we will make the trip ourselves one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not quite 'going commando' but near enough as dammit Ruth.lol! Now when have I ever listened to my daughter...watch this space.lol!

    The Sedge Warbler was singing away happily but very flighty, I had to wait ages to get a decent enough photo but I didn't mind as it was a real treat to see and hear.

    You would really love North Norfolk Ruth! The walking is easy and the birds and scenery are brill!
    I am pleased you are enjoying the read, thank you for your as always kind comments.

    ReplyDelete