Monday, 2 May 2011

Nessie spotted in the East Marsh Pool, WWT Brandon Marsh....01/05/2011


Well it resembled Nessie at first glance! After checking in my Collins Field Guide and several handy Wildlife books that were tucked in my back pocket the only species that resembled the shape/colour was a Cormorant, so Nessie hadn't arrived in Warwickshire, what a disappointment.lol!!





A warm, sunny and very windy day was spent at Brandon Marsh! A Brimstone butterfly was the first good sighting in the carpark whilst a Cuckoo calling was a joy to hear, it's call sounding out several times during the day! Swifts, Sand Martins and Swallows were soon spotted, great to see the Swifts especially! There were easily 15-20+ Swifts flying over the reserve. The Swallows in the afternoon were flying just above headheight along the perimeter walk in their pursuit of insects. I have huge admiration for all of these birds along with all Summer/Winter migrants that make such epic journeys!

Highlight birds of the day were Ruff, Lapwing and chicks, Redshank, L R Plover and a Ringed Plover (my first of the year), Oystercatcher, Gadwall, Common Terns, Greylag and Canada Geese plus and odd looking Goose on the Golf Course, Common Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, Mute Swan and at the end of the day a Cuckoo and Kingfisher rounded the bird sightings off nicely.
Birds heard only were Lesser Whitethroat, Cetti's Warbler, Blackcap, Chiffchaff and Green Woodpecker.
The butterflies seen along the perimeter footpath were Comma, Peacock, Whites (not sure which species as they didn't settle), Holly Blue, Speckled Wood, Brimstone and a delightful Cinnabar Moth. I was very pleased to see Large Red and Blue-tailed Damselflies perching and flying around the vegetation by a small stream. How lovely to see all creatures great and small back with us for the summer!
I love Brandon Marsh, I just wish it were closer to my home. The journey is approximately 45 minutes and I feel a day is essential to make the most of this splendid reserve.

Wash and brush up time!


A territorial Coot chasing away a Mallard!

The Swan

Traveling swiftly across the water
Having no trouble looking attractive
Exploring the shiny silver lake

Sharing its beauty with all trespassers
Wild bird with everlasting grace
Amazingly calm as thousands stare
No animal beats the bewildering swan

Marinela Reka.






Willow Warbler.








Large Red Damselfly.


Comma Butterfly.



Cinnabar Moth.





Pond-dipping Pond.

3 comments:

  1. Nice to read about your trip to Brandon again Pam,no wonder it's such a favourite of yours the species list is very impressive isn't it!

    I had my first screaming Swifts over the garden today....so for me summer is now officially here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The walks are for me the best part of the reserve especially when the butterflies and dragonflies are about Ruth. I get restless after 20 minutes or so in a hide these days, I much prefer walking and seeking, the same can be said for most reserves not just Brandon Marsh.

    I watched over a dozen Swifts over my garden yesterday, such a lovely sight! They were flying low today (not flying high.lol)and screaming, wonderful, wonderful birds! Great to hear yours are back in your area Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is indeed a favourite of mine Ruth! They do get some good species there but the best for me is the walks. I love it especially when the Dragonflies and Butterflies are about. I seem to last 20 minutes or so in a hide and then want to go walking and seeking!

    Yes great to see the Swifts back with us and good news that yours are also back.. They were flying low over the gardens yesterday morning and their screams were clearly heard! Wonderful and amazing birds!

    ReplyDelete