Wednesday, 1 June 2011

A singing Sedge and a pretty Phalarope! 28th & 29th May 2011.

28th.
My enthusiasm for a walk this morning was marred somewhat by the gusty wind still blowing! Though still feeling the effects of a head cold I decided to have a mosey around the car boot sale and possibly afterwards a short walk at the Fisheries. It was blowing a gale at the car boot as the field it is held in is at a high altitude and exposed, it is just a hop, skip and a jump from the Clent Hills. I purchased four French Lavender plants for a tenner, great value! With their wonderful perfume and colour I am hoping to attract plenty of bees and butterflies into my garden with these plants and my existing plants and not forgetting the Buddleias which attract loads of insects when in flower!

A Yellowhammer flew across the track on my down to the Fisheries and a Skylark was in-flight singing. Blue and Great Tits were feverishly gathering insects, I would imagine their young are close to fledging soon. House Martins c 20 were a delight to see as they hunted for insects over the paddocks and nearby fields, a sight I could have watched all day. Other highlights were a male Bullfinch, Wren , Common Whitethroat, Chiffchaff and a splendid Sedge Warbler whose singing was a joy to hear as it perched on the outer branches of a small Oak tree.
Buttercups were now plentiful and looked a treat in the sunshine (when it shone), it seemed a shame to have to walk amongst them down the path, I trod carefully.lol! The only butterfly seen today was a Common Blue which was settled in low vegetation where I had parked my car, no doubt the cool air and winds had taken it's toll, hopefully it perked up as the day warmed up slightly.

29th.

An afternoon visit was taken to Upton Warren to see the reported Red-necked Phalarope, a super little wader. It was distant but scope brills of it were splendid to see. Other highlights were Ringed and Little ringed Plover, Peregrine, Hobby, Oystercatcher and chick, Dunlin, Common Tern, White Wagtail and a grumpy looking Great Tit chick.lol!

Fisheries.





A bad hairday for this Blue Tit!



Upton Warren.

Bee Orchid.






28th

4 comments:

  1. A nice read Pam,those Lavenders should be wonderful later in the summer.....mine are almost in flower,I bought English as wasn't sure what the difference was but thought I'd be patriotic and that my Bees would prefer them?? time will tell! lol

    I love the series of singing Sedge images,well captured! Great Common blue shot too as is the grumpy looking Great Tit! lol

    (Sorry for the change in comment appearance,I'm not being allowed to sign in......despite already being signed in!!! Grrrrr,the frustrations of the wonderful world of computing eh!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't look any different to me Ruth.lol!! Hope you sort your 'sign in' problem ok!

    I already have English Lavender plants that are established, I thought it would ring the changes having French Lavender plants Ruth! It will be interesting to note the plants that atttract more insects or whether they are on a par.

    Thanks for your kind comments on my pics and I am pleased that you enjoyed the read.

    ps: I am having a problem replying to you....how weird is that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It should be an interesting comparisson with the 2 types of Lavender Pam.

    I'm glad my comment got through.....I can't always comment as myself (had to do it via url) as Blogger thinks i'm logged out when I am in fact logged in therefore doesn't always recognise me.....hence my pic being missing in the comment above......hopefully this one will be ok! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would appear that you are now sorted Ruth!

    I will update on the Lavenders as and when though we need some sunshine to bring the insects out.lol!

    ReplyDelete