Wednesday, 27 July 2011

Garden visitors during July.

28th July.
A feed and a freshen up!

A lovely morning for an early morning bath! The Starlings are the most frequent bathers followed by Blackbirds.




24th July.
Comma.
I have had a couple of sightings of a Comma butterfly on one of my Buddleia plants. Buddleias are an amazing shrub/tree, I spotted one growing today in the brickwork of a wall in a supermarket carpark! No soil and just rain for moisture, how do they survive? Railway embankments and sidings are another area that they seem prolific in.

24th July.
Sunshine loving Blackbirds!



22nd July.
Cheeky Mouse.lol!
It certainly wasn't fazed by the presence of the haughty looking Dunnock!

21st July.
Hummingbird Hawkmoth!
A first for my garden. I was rather pleased with this sighting!



21st July.
Red Admiral.

This is the only one I have seen so far this summer. A splendid Butterfly!

21st July.
White-tailed Bumblebee.
I have had several of these in the garden. I have also had a Red-tailed Bumblebee but only fleetingly.


21st July
Large White Butterfly.

21st July.
Family gatherings!

Good to see a pair of recently fledged Robin chicks in the garden after having the failed nest in my drive earlier in the summer.

Ain't they sweet!




19th July.
Small Ranunculus.

I was extremely pleased when this moth was ID'd for me as being a Small Ranunculus and informed that until recently it was very rare and is still in the Red Data Book. According to my Moth Guide the moth was 'thought extinct for 50 years before re-appearing in Kent,Essex and South Wales'


16th & 17th July
Long-tailed Tits fest!


These delightful little birds descended on the feeders! At one point there were 30+ in the garden!



15th July.
Small White Butterfly.


14th July.
Small Tortoiseshell Butterfly.




11th July.
Scalloped Oak.


9th July.
Dark Arches.

4 comments:

  1. Nice to read of your latest garden visitors Pam.
    I'm pleased that you too had a Hummingbird Hawk Moth visit you....such a thrill to see aren't they....super series of pics too!
    I saw my first Dark Arches also this month but nothing like your Small Ranunculus....a splendid name for a great find,well done!
    Nice to see your collection of juv birds too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ruth! I reckon the Small Ranunculus will more than likely be my 'Moth of the year'.lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely images and an interesting post, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pleased that you enjoyed the post, thank you very much Mike!

    ReplyDelete