Saturday, 30 July 2011

A 'hoot' of a walk! 30/07/2011.

Butterflies and Wildflowers were my targets on my walk this sunny Saturday morning as I was not expecting to see many birds, little did I know then!
Speckled Wood and Meadow brown were plentiful along with the Whites, good to see so many. Common Mallow is always a joy to see in bloom and the Hedge Bindweeds are looking delightful as they entwine into the hedgerow vegetation.

On the birding front I had great views of a family of Goldfinch, with the young pestering the adults for food. A flock of Goldfinch were also busy feeding on thistles. Swifts, Swallows and House Martins swooped overhead almost continuosly on my walk, I feel sad when I think that the Swifts will soon be on their way! Canada Geese fed in a field and 3 Buzzards circled overhead with one possibly being a juvenile, they were too high on the thermals for me to see clearly. Blue Tit, Linnet, Greenfinch (family), Blackcap (f), Bullfinch (m) with a juvenile, Blackbird, Great Spotted Woodpecker and a delightful Goldcrest made up the remaining bird species seen. No I tell a fib....there were 2 birds waiting at almost the end of my walk to surprise me.lol!! Two Tawny Owls were perched on a low branch of a pine tree just 25-30 yards away fom me!!! Wow.....what a delightful surprise! They were quite content to watch me watching them and I had what seemed almost five minutes viewing of them. I took a few photo's after having good bin views of them and as I looked down at one point to check a photo I looked up again and they had gone! I never heard a sound as they left....splendid birds! I have been informed that they are sub-adult birds and will soon be chased off the territory. I felt very honoured to have seen these two fabulous Tawny Owls.

I really enjoyed the walk and returned to my car smiling and feeling very happy.


Meadow Brown.

Comma.

Gatekeeper.


Speckled Wood.
Common Mallow.

Hedge Bindweed (pink striped)
Hedge Bindweed

Two Tu-whit tu-whoo's!

6 comments:

  1. I'm surprised they weren't being mobbed by other birds while sitting out in the open like that. Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was extremely lucky John! The area they were perched in was surrounded by a few large trees and they were on a branch that was quite low down, they were actually quite concealed. There was tall vegetation in between me and them, I had to stand on tippy toes to get a pic.lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great end to your butterfly and floral walk Pam,keep an eye on the tree as "ours" roost in exactly the same branch in the same tree day after day.
    A brilliant photograph of the "hooting two"!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the chances of seeing them again in the same tree is very remote and also given the information of them being sub-adults, however I am ever the optimist.lol!!

    Thanks for your kind comment Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are having better luck than me, Pam. I like your owl image.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Mike! I was in the right place at the right time...which doesn't happen often.lol!

    ReplyDelete