Sunday, 2 October 2011

Warks W T Brandon Marsh NR....02/10/2011

My previous visit to Brandon Marsh was on the 1st May so a long overdue visit was made today! The sun shone warmly and brightly and thankfully not as hot and oppressive as yesterday! It was evident looking at the Goose pool and the pool viewed from the Carlton Hide that rain is desperately needed.
Highlight birds today were Gadwall, Teal, Lapwing, Common Snipe (13), Grey Heron, Cormorant, Starling (c200), Long-tailed Tits (15+), Sparrowhawk, Buzzard and a fleeting glance of a Hobby, which was nice! A Cetti's Warbler and a Nuthatch were heard only.
A Southern Hawker was whizzing around the Dipping Pond and flying quite close at times, a delight to see but a monkey to photograph! I did however manage a photo when I spotted one perched in a tree!
Speckled Wood and what I believe was a Red Admiral were the only butterflies seen today.
As is the norm it had been an extremely enjoyable day at Brandon Marsh today!

Whilst I type this post the temperature outside is 20c and it has started to rain, maybe I should send the rain to Coventry.lol!!

Image taken at the Entrance to the Reserve.

View from the Carlton Hide.

Goose Pool.

East Marsh Pool.


Southern Hawker.


Common Darter.


Starlings were plentiful and many of them were enjoying a bath.


Grey Heron.
Teasel.

Water Boatman.


Mute Swans taking a stroll.

4 comments:

  1. Your Sunday trip to the Marsh looks lovely Pam,you've taken some nice pics.....that blue sky looks wonderful....my fave shot is the Common Darter,with the sun on it's wings and the 2 red berries hanging from the twig....a really nice composition matey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kind words on my Common Darter photo, thanks Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam,

    Long time no speak! Have you not been on TalkWildlife recently? I have posted up a few new bits & bobs - feel free to check them out by clicking my name and following the link!

    Sounds like you had a good trip to Brandon Marsh, I have only been there once - I went earlier in the year for the Spotted Crake - and missed it!!

    Hope you are well.

    Cheers, Rob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rob,

    I am well thanks and trust you are too!

    I have been a bit busy of late but will check out your postings when I return from my holiday!! Two whole weeks in the sun...and a little birding thrown in to.lol!!

    Brandon as always was a great day!

    Thanks for your comment Rob.

    All the best, Pam.

    ReplyDelete