Sunday, 20 November 2011

Recent walk updates. October/November 2011.

The 29th October saw me walking around Brake Lane, Hagley. On the Lake were 2 pairs of Goosander and a Little Grebe, the Little Grebe being my first sighting of this species on the Lake. Plenty of Black-headed Gulls, Canada Geese, Mallards, a few Moorhens and Coots on the water and I was pleased to see the Swan pair with their 4 Cygnets (which are now as big as their parents) were still safe! One of the Cygnets was feeling it's feet and chasing off the Canada Geese that came too close! Highlights on my walk were Coal Tit, Mistle Thrush, Jay, Green Woodpecker and Goldcrest. I had a chat with a Lady who was walking her dog (on a lead) by the lake and I asked her the breed of the dog as I had never seen one like it before, it was a Labradoodle! A lovely friendly dog but I do wonder why the need to cross the two breeds?

6th November (Brake lane). On the walk today highlights were Pied Wagtail, Wren, Yellowhammer, Raven and a flock of Starlings! On a fence next to a paddock I noticed that it held a lot of Ladybirds, I believe most were Harlequin but nevertheless they were a good sight to see so late in the year.





The 1st, 12th and 19th November were walks taken at a local Fisheries and the welcome sightings of my first Redwing and Fieldfare of this Winter season! Highlight birds of the walks were Bullfinch x3(2m & 1f), Skylark x 2 singing, Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Goldcrest x 2, Buzzard, Pied Wagtail, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Long-tailed Tit flock and the usual Corvids.
Fungi was in abundance sprouting up amongst the bark alongside the paddocks and along the grassy path next to the hedgerows giving a colourful display. I have not ID'd any of the Fungi yet, that will be a task to do through the Winter months ahead.
Flocks of Woodpigeons where constantly flying overhead on the early morning walks.

On the 3rd of November an almost continuous stream of flocks of Woodpigeons flew over my house heading West, I reckon c2000! The following weekend there were reports of thousands of Woodpigeons on the move, it was good to have seen a part of the movement!
















The 17th November and a walk along the Public Footpath which is alongside Hagley Hall and heads towards the Clent Hills. This is a good area for a walk with good views over open fields and paddocks. Redwings were the highlight birds as they flew to and from the berried trees and 5 Mistle Thrush were also a good sight to see! Greenfinch, Goldfinch, numerous Blackbirds, Long-tailed Tit flock, Pied wagtail, Jay, Blue & Great Tit, Goldcrest, Buzzard and a Little Owl which was heard only but pleasing to know they are in this area.


On my walks I wrapped up in thermal trousers and tops as the sunny but cool/cold and sometimes windy weather was far removed from the heat of the sun of my birding days in Portugal, nevertheless it was good to be back home and enjoying the English countryside and all that it has to offer!

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your post, Pam. Your photographs are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mike, your comments are much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to read of your local walks Pam,well done with the Little Owl.
    Good luck in ID'ing all those Fungi....they can be extremely difficult!
    I like the last photo especially.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ruth, I am pleased you enjoyed the read! The Fungi will be a challenge.lol!
    The last photo is almost looking towards the Clent Hills, there is some lovely countryside around the Hills that I have yet to explore.lol!

    ReplyDelete