Thursday, 22 December 2011

A Spring Like Day....22/12/2011

How lovely it was to be out walking in the glorious sunshine this morning, far removed from the dull and gloomy days of late. Two Grey Herons flying overhead were the first sighting as I started my walk in search of the Siskins that I had seen earlier in the week. On the lake were the usual birds minus the Tufted Ducks. There were plenty of Black-headed Gulls on the water and many were bathing, a large flock were in a ploughed field soaking up the sunshine. I caught up with the Siskins as they fed in a stretch of Alders, too many to count as they flitted from branch to branch, Goldfinch were mixed in with them. The sound of the Siskins twittering away as they fed was a pleasure to hear.I scanned the trees for Redpoll but the sun was very bright and for the most part I was looking at silhouettes. Blue and Great Tits were also in the Alders. Other highlight birds today were Long-tailed Tit, Blackbirds (plenty), Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Dunnock, singing Robin, Jay, Buzzard x 2 soaring, Great Spotted Woodpecker and a Green Woopdpecker that I had 3 sightings of possibly the same bird each time.








.

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you caught up with your Siskin flock again Pam,it's been a glorious day here too.....a lot better than this time last week!
    Well done on capturing the Green Woodpecker.....a super bird to see on a sunny morn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Green Woodpecker was a dot on the horizon of a paddock Ruth, I was lucky to get any sort of a picture the distance it was away from me.

    Glad you also had a glorious day and thanks for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam,

    I popped to Brake Mill mid-afternoon yesterday. There were loads of black-headed gulls still as well as 2 Tufted duck (1 fem & 1 partial eclipse male) and a Little Grebe.

    The highlight though came after I had walked under the railway bridge towards my car. I heard a snatch of Corn Bunting singing and the another. I walked along the lane towards the sound and much to my suprise came across a flock of 9 perched in one of the large trees. It is so unusual to see a flock of them locally away from known breeding areas such as Shenstone. So keep them peeled...you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good that a couple of Tufties and a Little Grebe were back on the pool Jason.
    Nice one with the Corn Buntings too. I have seen through the summer a couple of Corn Buntings but on the Brake Lane side where you can park by the bridleway, they were on the wires next to the footpath on the opposite side of the lane. I shall keep them peeled!

    What a glorious day yesterday and now today cold, windy and heaving it down! No two days the same lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to know there are some about around there....they are a very much declined bird.

    Yes you couldn't have two more different days Pam! no venturing out birding for me today

    ReplyDelete