Sunday, 4 December 2011

A train of Jackdaws!....03/12/2011

I waited until the clouds had dispersed somewhat before setting off for Brake Lane this morning with the intention of walking the circular walk of which I had not done for a few weeks. As I swapped my trainers (a matching pair) for my wellies the 'Kronking' of a Raven was the first bird I heard and then viewed as it soared above me! A good start! Black-headed Gulls were perched on the telegraph wires looking like a string of Pearls, not often I see so many perched in this area as they are normally in the fields or on/around the Lake! I was transfixed by them as they jostled for positions on the wires. Carrion Crows and Jackdaws, the Jackdaws especially so, were noisy today with their calls sounding out on almost the entire walk. Two Great Spotted Woodpeckers flew in to a tree ahead of me and I was to see two later on the walk possibly the same two. A small flock of Redwings flew out from a berry tree not to be seen again today. Dunnock, Robin, Jay and a small flock of Long-tailed Tits were also seen before I had reached the bridlepath.
As I walked (well trudged) up the muddy, squelchy bridlepath I spotted a Goldcrest flitting around the pine trees and as I reached the area with a paddock alongside the path I had a delightful sight of a mixed flock of Siskin and Goldfinch feverishly feeding in the Alders.
A Buzzard soared over the paddock and much to my joy...landed in the paddock! I stood and watched it for quite a while as it searched for insects/earthworms, a striking bird and one that I never tire of seeing! I was later to have two more sightings of possibly the same Buzzard, one sighting was a Buzzard flying to and perching on trees that are in a large garden and the next sighting was of one being mobbed by two Carrion Crows. I feel a walk around Brake Lane isn't complete until I have seen a Buzzard, today I was treated to three sightings! Magic!!
At the Lake area were Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Robin (singing), Blackbird, Wren and a Songthrush! On the lake were Black-headed Gull, Mallard, Coot, Moorhen, Canada Geese, the Swan pair with their four now very large Cygnets and two Grey Herons flew overhead.

A good walk today in sunshine and at times cloudy weather, I returned home almost three hours later and ready for a warming cuppa!













Spot the birdies!

A strange sighting at the Lake! I wonder what they were comparing?

A train of Jackdaws.



3 comments:

  1. That's a serious gathering of Black-headed Gulls Pam...the telegraph wire is curving down under the weight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice account of your Saturday solitude amble Pam,glad to hear that you wore the right shoes this week! lol
    The Buzzard is a handsome chap.....well captured....both shots! We saw 3 Buzzards in a field on Sunday,one of them had a green tag in it's wing which I reported to the RSPB when we reached the nearby reserve.
    I love the horse picture......and didn't know you had Meercats in the West Midlands! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were even more Black-headed Gulls on the lake Jason! The time of year for them to congregate isn't it and vie with the Corvids in the fields!

    Ha ha!!Definately matching pairs Ruth!
    Nice one with spotting the green tag, I hope you get some info about the Buzzard in the near future! Let us know if you do please.
    We do have some amazing wildlife in the West Midlands but Meerkats..lol!
    I forgot to mention that there were still some Ladybirds on the fence posts, as I posted about in my 'Recent Walk Updates' post. I don't think I have ever seen Ladybirds so late in the year before.

    Thank you Jason and Ruth for your kind comments on my posts.

    ReplyDelete