Tuesday, 31 January 2012

Eymore Wood and Welcome Garden Visitors.

A fleeting visit was made to Eymore Wood on Saturday (28th)in the hope of seeing a few Crossbills. The first sighting was of fellow Brummie Pete, it was good to see him again and have a natter! After 10 minutes or so two female Crossbills had been spotted in a Larch tree enjoying the spoils of the tree. I returned on the Sunday afternoon and whilst preparing to look for Crossbills had a chat with Tom and Tina who were also after the Crossbills, it was nice to meet some 'Local' birders. A distant flock of Crossbills were seen, so I had now seen the striking males, though not great views as they did not hang around. A flock of 12+ Redpoll were good to see though they were very flighty. A Nuthatch, Blue Tit, Great Spotted Woodpecker and a perched Buzzard were the only other birds seen on this misty and cold Sunday afternoon. I managed a couple of very record shots of the Crossbills.
My garden has been quite productive the last few days. A Redwing has found the berry laden Holly tree that is in the centre of a lawn and has visited each day since Sunday (29th).The Redwing is keeping it's find a secret as it is always on it's own.
Monday (30th) morning a female Sparrowhawk was perched on the end of my garage enjoying the sunshine, I watched her for a good 10 minutes as she scanned the not surprisingly empty garden! I was surprised to see her perched so visibly.
What a stare, scary
A Song Thrush was feeding on a few leftover sultanas when I returned home this morning, a lovely bird to see. It was February 2011 the last time I sighted a Song Thrush in my garden.
A female Blackcap has been a regular daily visitor for a couple of weeks now, as long as I keep spiking apples and pears on a tree I don't think she is going anywhere soon. The cold weather which we are told is set to get colder will probably bring a few more birds into gardens than there has been all Winter, I have not had near as many Blackbirds this winter as the last two.

12 comments:

  1. I've suffered a lot more stiff necks than I've seen crossbills. I had a Fielfare on a crab apple tree last winter that was willing to fight all-comers to guard the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same thing happen with a Fieldfare in my garden last winter John. The poor Blackbirds of which there were many compared to this winter didn't get a look in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Sparrowhawk photos Pam. What a stare...you just wouldnt mess with her would you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to read about your Crossbills and all your garden visitors Pam.
    Despite the cold we've not had the Redwings return yet.......mind I've no berries left as the Blackies have had them all so that's probably why!! lol
    A super set of pics of your Sparrowhawk,she's a real poser isn't she!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pam,

    I have finally joined blogspot after many months!! I still have my twitter & talkwildlife accounts but I wanted to be able to document my wildlife sightings more ... I have followed you - would really appreciate a follow back :)

    I was going to go to Eymore Wood tomorrow but with the weather as it is I am going to give it a miss and go next week now ... superb photos of the Crossbills! Have you ever seen any Deer up by Eymore/Trimpley Pam?

    I had loads of Fieldfares/about 5 Redwings & a solitary Pied Wagtail (bless him!) drop in today, did you have much out the ordinary?

    Keep up the great blog!

    Best Wishes, Rob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jason: Thanks for your kind comment on my pics.She certainly isn't a bird to be messed with!

    Ruth: Thanks for your kind comments Ruth. The Redwing is still munching through the berries in the Holly tree, a good job it fruited well.

    Rob: Great news that you are starting to blog your wildlife sightings and thanks for being a follower on my blog. I cannot access your profile to follow you at present Rob. I will keep checking and will certainly follow your blog with great interest.

    A pity the weather has taken a turn for the worst, inevitable though I suppose. I haven't seen Deer at Eymore/Trimpley, though I have only visited there a couple of times. I would be very surprised if there were not Deer in the area though.
    Good news with the Winter Thrushes and Pied Wagtail in your garden! I have the usual plus the Redwing in the Holly tree and a female bBlackcap still munching away at the apples/pears.

    Thanks you all for your comments and apologies for the late replies. I have been away for a few days and what a time to go...freezing cold weather and snow!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely images of the sparrowhawk, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the reply Pam, I have now made my profile accessible - the blog address is:

    http://wildliferob.blogspot.com

    Best Wishes, Rob :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am now following you Rob! Good luck and enjoy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pam,

    A bit off topic but .. I visited Uffmoor Wood yesterday and saw the Deer (post on my blog) - when putting the video on the computer though and looking properly they didn't look like Roe .... have had the video ID' today as Fallow Deer from someone at BDS. I didn't know there were Fallow on there, did you?

    Just thought I'd let you know - my earlier video from last year also turned out to be Fallow so as yet I have not seen Roe Deer at Uffmoor Wood - I really need to brush up more on the Deer it would seem!

    Best Wishes, Rob

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have only seen Roe Deer at Uffmoor Rob but I only go there on a hop and a catch! I see no reason why Fallow Deer shouldn't be there aswell though.

    All the best

    Pam

    ReplyDelete