Saturday, 18 February 2012

Friday at the Fisheries....17/02/2012

With Saturdays weather forecast to be wet and cold and today being dull but mild I decided a Friday afternoon walk would be the best plan. A Goldcrest moving swiftly along the hedgerow was the first sighting as I walked along the top path and then a male and two female Bullfinches in the trees, I would imagine they are now eating the new buds that are starting to appear. Plenty of bird song and calls were heard from Great and Blue Tits, Robins and the odd Blackbird. The mild temperature today had brought out the gnats, I walked through small clouds of them at times making me feel a bit itchy.lol! On the pools were Mallard, Moorhen, Canada Geese and a lone Black-headed Gull circled the pools. Other highlights today were Great Spotted Woodpecker, Pheasant and a flock of 30+ Winter Thrushes in flight, I reckon Redwings but couldn't be certain. So, nothing out of the ordinary seen but an enjoyable walk just the same!

4 comments:

  1. Nice to observe the beginning of spring, though. A Song Thrush was singing beautifully as I waited for a bus this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt one time you wouldn't mind the bus being late when listening to such a lovely songster John.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see your signs of Spring Pam and a nice capture of the goldcrest too,they are always too quick for me!lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ruth. Goldcrests are too quick for me normally but this one didn't get away.lol!

    ReplyDelete