Thursday, 8 March 2012

You Don't Know What You've Got 'Til It's Gone....08/03/2102

Starlings...the last sighting I had of them in my garden was August 2011 so I was more than delighted to see two (hopefully a pair) on the suet feeder in my garden this morning! I am also hoping House Sparrows will at least pay a visit during Spring/Summer, another species in times gone by seen daily in my garden and now rarely visits.
Hey farmer, farmer Put away that DDT now, Give me spots on my apples But leave me the birds and the bees Please! .......... Don't it always seem to go That you don't know what you've got 'Til its gone, They paved paradise And put up a parking lot.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, sometimes the common birds aren't as common as we like to think. Only problem with Starlings is that they eat an awful lot of suet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will make sure I am well stocked up with suet pellets for when they bring their youngsters John! The Blue Tits may not be very pleased when they see the Starlings are back as they have had the suet feeders practically to themselves!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha,nice analogy Pam....I love that Joni Mitchell song!
    I'm pleased that you have some Starlings in your garden again,I can't imagine not having mine.....tho they are very noisy.....you'll need to get well stocked if they're going to bring their youngsters along! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. They were back again this morning Ruth so all being well they will be regulars again, at least during Spring, Summer and Autumn! You are lucky still seeing them regularly!I used to get Starlings in double figures up until those harsh winters we had. Anyway, they maybe raucous but I love em.lol!

    ReplyDelete