Wednesday, 4 April 2012

April Showers................04/04/2012

.....of rain, sleet and snow, accompanied by a cold gusty wind and a temperature of a heady 3.1c. .
A change from this time last week when I was scouring the paddocks and ploughed fields in West Hagley in sunshine looking for Ring Ouzels or even a Ring Ouzel! No luck but I will keep trying! I returned to the same area on Saturday morning, again no Ring Ouzel but nice birds seen and heard all the same. The morning was a dull one with light drizzle which became heavier drizzle as the morning wore on. Undeterred by the weather I enjoyed a good couple of hours walking and lingering. Highlights were Great Tit, Blue Tit, Robin, Dunnock, Treecreeper, Wren, Mistle Thrush, Song Thrush, Long-tailed Tit, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Heron and my first of the year in this area, a Chiffchaff! I also came across my first of the year Marsh Marigolds. No photo's from my walks so I have posted a photo of another year first, a Twenty Plume Moth.

5 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever seen a Twenty Plumed Moth before, what a beauty. Return of winter here too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cracking Plume moth Pam and great photo too. It really shows the feathering on the wings

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are very tiny moths John. I usually find them in my porch or in the house, they are delightful moths when you get a close up view of one.
    The following info is taken from UK Moths:
    1288 Twenty-plume Moth Alucita hexadactyla Linnaeus, 1758 Wingspan 14-16 mm. The English name of this unusual little moth is something of a misnomer, as each wing is separated into 6 'plumes'. The scientific name is more accurate, meaning 'six-fingered'. The only British member of its family, it is fairly common throughout, and can be found in the adult stage at almost any time of year. The larva feeds on the leaves and buds of honeysuckle (Lonicera), and the moth is nocturnal and attracted to light.

    Thanks Jason. A lovely Moth to see but tricky at times to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a week it's been eh Pam,we've had a bit of everything here!
    Nice to see your Plume moth,I've not seen one yet this year.....had a few in the house last year,beautiful little things!
    Hope your Ouzel returns and that you have a very nice Easter holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a week indeed Ruth! We do not want many weeks like this one after all 'Spring has Sprung'...I think.lol!

    I looked today for Ring Ouzel and/or any Wheatears but no lucl locally yet!

    Thank you and enjoy a great Easter holiday yourself!

    ReplyDelete