Sunday, 1 April 2012

Titterstone Clee Hill, Shropshire....01/04/2012

It had been just over 18 months since my last visit to Titterstone Clee Hill so a long overdue visit was made today in the hope of seeing Ring Ouzels that had been reported there. Parking up before reaching the summit great views were had of a Stonechat pair, Meadow Pipits, Skylark (heard only), Raven x4 (later in the afternoon 9+ were viewed in the air), Buzzard x3 (8+ in the air later in the afternoon), Kestrel x2 and a real treat were a pair of Peregines giving the best views of them in flight that I have ever had. A Pied Wagtail was seen several times around the summit carpark and it was good to see (well wave to) Pete who was poised with his bazooka (his camera and big lens for those not in the know) amongst the derelict buildings. Walking towards the derelict buildings a male Ring Ouzel was spotted and good views were had of this delightful little Thrush. Several Wheatears were also seen at the summit and a couple of the males were viewed displaying, they really were a joy to see! The weather had been good today and felt quite warm in sheltered spots. On the way down the track to head home another treat was in store....a Red Kite soared overhead....a super bird to see to end what had been a sunny and very fruitful birding day!

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great trip, might make our way there and get some walking practice as we are due to tackle Ben Nevis in a couple of months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great place Pam,the views are superb!
    Glad you got your target bird......he's a stunner!
    Super pics of the Peregrine,Wheatear and Stonechat too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Tom and Ruth for your kind comments.

    It is a great place and the views are wonderful Ruth! A pity there was a haze as the distant views would have been splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Titterstone definitely delivers the goods this time of year. I'm glad you caught up with the Ouzels. I was back up there on the 29th March and got cracking views.

    They were thin on the ground passing through last year and I didn't see one at all in Worcs or Shrops!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed myself there of late, Pegs, Red Kites, Ouzels, Chats and Wheatears..what more could you want,a great spot !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your kind comments Jason and Mark.

    I self found my first ever Ring Ouzel last year Jason. Needless to say I was thrilled to bits! http://allmarsh.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/ring-ring-o-ouzel-camera-full-of.html
    Hope the link works!

    What more indeed Mark, I agree a great spot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is nothing quite like finding your own birds am...I bet you were dead chuffed.

    Back in the late 90's, in my formative birding years, I self found a fall of 5 Ring Ouzels (3♂ & 2♀) in the fields/paddocks at the back of St Kenelms church (Clent)...moments like those stay with you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow...5 Ring Ouzels...I bet you were over the moon Jason!

    I was dead chuffed. I had a smile on my face for a week.lol! A lovely feeling though to have a self found. I keep checking out the paddocks at Brake Mill Pool but as yet nothing but who knows so I will keep on looking!

    A timely reminder on your latest post about keeping schtum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not a place I've ever visited so I enjoyed your trip. Some great sightings too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you John.
    I hope you are now feeling much better.

    ReplyDelete