Wednesday, 11 April 2012

Warks W T Brandon Marsh Nature Reserve....08/04/2012

An enjoyable day was spent at Brandon Marsh and the weather was good too with sunny spells and just a couple of short drizzle showers. Highlights were: On the journey Buzzard and kestrel. Brandon Marsh: Reed Bunting, Bullfinch, Long-tailed Tit, Blackcap, Robin, several Chiffchaff were seen and heard around the reserve along with Willow Warbler but the latter were heard only, Pied Wagtail, Barn Swallow, Sand Martin, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Redshank, Little Ringed Plover, Oystercatcher, Lapwing, Teal, Tufted Duck, Common Snipe, Shoveler, Gadwall, Greylag Goose, Canada Goose and a lone Barnacle Goose, Little Egret, Grey Heron, Buzzard and Sparrowhawk. Cetti's Warbler were heard frequently around the reserve and I had my best ever sighting of one as it perched on a branch singing it's little heart out! Green Woodpecker was heard only. Marsh Marigold, Common Dog-violet, Lesser Celandine and Cowslip were delightful splashes of colour along with the blossoms on the trees and shrubs. Smooth Newt and Great Crested Newt were seen in the Dipping Pond with the latter being an especially pleasing sight to see. .

6 comments:

  1. A nice report with some super images Pam,nice one re Cetti's,a bird I saw for the first time a few weeks ago!
    Lovely to see the Crested Newt,a species I'd really like to see myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The G C Newt was a beauty Ruth! I was amazed how big they are in comparism to the Smooth Newt! One or two would look a treat in your Nature pond!

    Thanks for your kind comments Ruth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to Brandon, will have to pay it a visit some time.

    P.s. love the Great Crested Newt photos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well worth a visit Jason, they have some nice Dragonflies and butterflies there too...at the right time of the year of course.lol! The Woodland walk is always a treat!

    Thanks for your comment and I am pleased that you like the G C Newt pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pam, that sounded and looked like a very nice visit, I keep meaning to go there...maybe this year.

    Lovely photos and a good variety of sightings too.I haven't seen a GCN for years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jan, thank you for your kind comment.

    I always enjoy a visit to Brandon Marsh and not just because the cafe cook a good Sunday Roast.lol! On my next visit hopefully a Cuckoo should have returned and normally one can get good views of it as well as hearing it call throughout the day, always a treat to see and hear.
    If you do visit I hope you will be lucky like me and see a GCN!

    ReplyDelete