Saturday, 4 August 2012

Fields of Gold and a Flock of Sheep....27th & 28th July 2012

Actually the fields were a corn colour but Gold sounds better and maybe all the Gold Medals the GB Team are winning had something to do with it!

For a change of scenery I decided to go for a walk along a public footpath that leads off from Whittington Hall Lane, the path leads eventually to the bridleway at Sugar Loaf Lane and Bunkers Hill Wood. The first walk on Friday afternoon was in glorious sunshine, Skylarks, Yellowhammer, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Blue Tit, Swallow, Swift , Kestrel and Buzzard were seen today and also a Redstart that took flight in to a field as I walked back up the path! I waited patiently to see if it would show again but no luck. The Redstart was the main reason I returned the next day but still no luck! However I did add Great Tit, Whitethroat, Linnet and a Jay to my bird list. Butterflies were lovely to see as on both days the warm sun shone brightly, however there was more of a breeze on the Saturday (28th) walk.

Butterfly species seen were Comma (1), Small Tortoiseshell (1), with Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown, Ringlet and Small Skipper in abundance! I am wondering if I have an Essex Skipper, I have read that the undersides of the tips of the antennae are yellow orange in the Small Skipper whereas they are black in the Essex Skipper. I am not sure if it is a trick of the light as I have an image of a Skipper that looks as though it has the black tips. Help with ID if it is possible to tell from the images would be appreciated.

The Whitethroats were a treat to see, I reckon there were at least two juveniles and very confiding they were too! This is where the Sheep come in, they were grazing in the field behind me and as I stopped for a while to take pics of the Whitethroats I could hear the sheep coming ever closer to me. I turned to see almost the whole flock facing me close to the fence as they made their way down the field grazing as they went! I reckon they wanted their picture taken too.lol!





Comma

Gatekeeper

Small Tortoiseshell

Meadow Brown


Small Skipper. I am unsure of the first Skipper image and wonder if this is an Essex Skipper.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Pam, Lots of lovely photos and you saw plenty of interest on your walks again. I don't think I dare try to decide whether you have an Essex Skipper there as I have the same dilemma with some of my photos. I only realised fairly recently that they had found their way out of the Essex area ;-)

    I am very envious of your Whitethroats, I very rarely see them and think I have only ever managed one photo and that was about thirty miles from here!

    Lovely flutter photos, I have only seen one Comma this year so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely summer read Pam!
    Your pics are beautiful,doesn't a bit of sunshine make all the difference to photographs......love the Whitethroat especially!

    I think you do have an Essex Skipper as the tips of it's antennae are black in your pics and in Small Skipper are orange,well spotted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jan, thanks for your kind comments.
    It was a change to walk in open countryside without the thought of possibly getting soaking wet with nowhere to shelter .lol! No problem with the Skippers, they were delightful to watch whichever species they were.
    Hope you see some goodies this week as the weather is drying and warming up again after today........hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Ruth, I am glad you enjoyed the read.
    Sunshine does make a difference to images and us.lol! Thanks for your opinion on the Skipper!
    Enjoy a lovely week Ruth!

    ReplyDelete