Thursday, 9 August 2012

Fields of Gold.....Common Redstart!

A return visit this morning in the hope of seeing the Common Redstart and I was in luck today! I had to wait for my return walk along the track before I spotted rthe bird, it was very flighty so I kept a good distance away from it but had good views through my bins! What a delightful and smart bird he was too! I lingered for a good 30 minutes or more in the hope of a decent photograph but it seemed as soon as I positioned my camera it fled in to the thickest part of the trees and re-appeared five minutes later. However to have such good views of the Redstart was more than enough for me. I added Chiffchaff, Robin and Raven to the list for this area and a Green Woodpecker was heard only. There were plenty of Skippers (species), Meadow Browns and Gatekeepers on the Ragwort and a single Comma bathed on the track in the warm sunshine this morning!

A record shot of a bird I was delighted to see!

6 comments:

  1. Well done on the Redstart Pam...stunning birds! Sounds an ejoyable walk that you did

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jason!

    It was an enjoyable walk which was made all the better when I found the super Redstart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a treat!! I would have been thrilled with that sighting Pam. And you managed a shot too! I have never seen one but unfortunately wouldn't expect to in my area.

    Lovely photo of the Gatekeeper, quite a smart looking butterfly I always think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were well rewarded for your patience by the Redstart Pam and what a stunner he was too,gorgeous birds to see!
    Your butterfly pics are smashing,there certainly was a lot to choose from wasn't there? Good to see after the summer we've had!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jan! This was the best sighting of a Redstart I have ever had, so it was a real treat to have such good views of it. I agree Gatekeeepers are a smart looking butterfly, they were the most numerous butterfly species seen on the walk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ruth!

    Third time lucky with the Redstart, it is a good job I am not a defeatist.lol! Gorgeous birds indeed!
    It was lovely seeing so many butterflies on such a warm sunny morning! Red Admiral though is one I have yet to see this summer.....if we can call it summer!;-)

    ReplyDelete