Monday, 24 December 2012

Christmas Eve catch-up!

 15/12/12....Norton Covert Bridleway, Iverley Park Farm and Sugar Loaf Lane.

A good walk was enjoyed this morning in the company of my Daughter Emma! We started the walk at Norton Covert where we saw and heard Blue & Great Tit and Robin along with distant Fieldfares and Redwings! The pathway alongside Iverley Park Farm was at times very muddy after the once again recent rains, nevertheless we decided to walk a circular walk and carry on to Sugar Loaf Lane  and then on to Norton Covert were we had begun the walk. Highlight birds were Song Thrush, Mistle Thrush, Yellowhammer, Green Woodpecker, Buzzard, Crow, Magpie, Jackdaw, Bullfinch (3), Pied Wagtail, Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Wren, Blackbird and Dunnock. Woodpigeon and Black-headed Gulls were in abundance in and around the fields. It was heavy going in the muddy conditions but we enjoyed our walk and were pleased that we took the long and not the short route!

16/12/12
An afternoon visit to Arley was a delight and the musical accompaniment made for a good atmosphere! The music was emanating from the Severn Valley Railway as they were running their Santa Specials! It was nice sitting outside at the Cafe and listening to the band playing Christmas songs and Carols whilst watching the world go by. Apart from the usual Mallards on the slipway waiting to be fed the River was quiet but running well.
Highlight birds seen on the walk in order of appearance were Marsh Tit, Coal Tit, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Little Grebe, Robin, Kestrel, Blue Tit, Blackbird, Moorhen, Long-tailed Tits, Pied Wagtail, Mistle Thrush with Siskin and Nuthatch heard only.

21/12/12
Well the world did not end at 11.11am so a ride to Eyemore Wood and Trimpley Reservoir was partaken in the afternoon. Not a lot of birds to be seen in all honestly apart from a Song Thrush, Greenfinch, Buzzard, Great Crested Grebe, Mallard, Coot, Tufted Duck, Grey Heron and Cormorant, all lovely to see but the icing on the Christmas cake were the 9 Goosander on the lower Reservoir and the 11 Mandarin Ducks on the River! Eyemore Wood was very quiet with just a couple of Coal Tits seen. On the way home a short visit to Bodenham Arboretum was made and a cuppa and slice of Coffee & Walnut cake was most enjoyable and ended a productive afternoon!


I have finally done all of my shopping, wrapping and preparing for the big day which will more than likely be over in the blink of an eye!.lol!

I wish you all a Merry Christmas, enjoy!

A Reindeer for Christmas

Dear Santa, this Christmas my list is quite small.
In fact, I need practically nothing at all.
My list is so short and so easy to read
because there's just one thing I actually need.
A reindeer for Christmas is all I require;
a reindeer, of course, who's an excellent flier.
I really don't care if it's Dasher or Dancer.
I'm okay with Cupid or Comet or Prancer.
Please don't think I'm greedy; I only want one.
You won't even miss him, and I'll have such fun.
I promise I'll feed him and treat him just right,
and take him out flying around every night.
You see, I'm not selfish. So, for my surprise this Christmas,
please bring me a reindeer that flies.
But if my request is a bit much for you,
I guess that an iPod will just have to do.

--Kenn Nesbitt







6 comments:

  1. Very nice shots!
    Merry Christmas!
    Crissi

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thanks and a Merry Christmas wish to you Crissi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Xmas Pam,hope you've had a good one!
    Nice to catch up with your blog and latest sightings,those Mandarins are lovely!
    The rain has been dreadful hasn't it? We actually had a dry walk this morning and saw 4 Goosanders and a Kingfisher in lovely sunshine.......tho it's now raining again! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was/is a good one and I hope yours was/is a good one too Ruth! You were lucky with the sunshine...when and where did this happen? Did you take a note of the time of day? Did you take a photo as a reminder of the event?lol! Nice one with the Goosanders and Kingfisher! I hope you enjoy the remaining days of the holiday..in sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry not to have got here before Pam! I do hope you have been/are enjoying Christmas....I'm not a fan of the idea that it is over once Boxng Day has gone, I continue to say Happy Christmas until New Year's Eve :-) I enjoyed catching up with your latest walks and photos....and as for the Coffee and Walnut cake...YUM!! Love the poem :-) I was so hoping for a Waxwing for Christmas, after all I did have a Purple Emperor for my birthday....but it wasn't to be :-( Love your Christmas card header too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jan, a great Christmas thank you and I trust you are still enjoying Christmas too!
    Thank you so much for your kind comments!

    Still not too late for a 2012 Waxwing Jan, though a 2013 one is now more likely. I truly hope so for you:-)

    I wish you Happy and a Healthy new year 2013 Jan and good birding!

    ReplyDelete