Saturday, 1 December 2012

Squelching around WWT Brandon Marsh NR....25/11/2012

With the heavy and persistent rain over the previous days it was not surprising to learn that the tracks to the hides were inaccessible albeit to one of the hides the Wright Hide. This was not a problem as it is always good to walk the outermost areas of the reserve alongside the grassland and scrub areas.

I was told that 4 Waxwings had an hour previously been seen eating the Gilder Rose berries and perching in the Poplar trees. I had several visits to the area but no luck with the Waxwings.

Willow Island in the East Marsh Pool was a shadow of it's former self with the water level being so high, it was hardly visible especially so as it was almost completely covered in resting Greylag Geese and Gulls!

 Highlight species seen today were Nuthatch, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Blue & Great Tit, Wigeon, Tufted duck, Shoveler, Little Grebe, Cormorants aplenty and 2 pairs of Mute Swans. I just wish I could have added Waxwings, maybe I will be lucky locally.;-)

A good sighting was 3 Great Spotted Woodpeckers perched in one tree, I have never seen three so close together before. They were feeding from a peanut feeder that had been erected in the grounds of the Concrete Plant adjacent to the overflow carpark. I had walked around the carpark looking for Waxwings and found three delightful Woodpeckers instead, I was happy with that!

2 comments:

  1. To read about your squelchy walk seems quite appropriate on a morning like this Pam! Lovely images,especially the tree reflection!
    I'm sure you'll be seeing some Waxwings soon,my sisters returned to the same tree in her garden as a few years ago so maybe the same will happen for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ruth!

    Still no Waxwings for me yet, I have tried two locations this week where they have been sighted but no luck!

    ReplyDelete