Tuesday, 15 January 2013

Ladies Pool, Blakedown....13/01/2013

My Daughter had suggested Ladies Pool in Blakedown for an afternoon walk on this cold and frosty Sunday! The area was new to me though my Daughter had walked the area in late summer last year. So, well wrapped up against the cold, wellies at the ready and with a flask of hot chocolate and a packet of choccie biscuits for the end of the walk we set off!
The habitat is very similiar to Brake Mill Pool/Brake Lane but Ladies Pool is much, much bigger than Brake Mill Pool. I had not realised until seeing a sign displayed that both of the pools are part of  'The Blakedown Valley'. There are/were 30 Pools in Blakedown Valley, according to the display board some have dried out causing problems for wildlife.
On the water were Mallard, Cormorant, Coot and Black-headed Gull. A Kingfisher gave great views as it flew along the water to several perches on the waters edge. We watched the Kingfisher for quite a while, a lovely colourful bird to see on a cold winters day.
Highlight species (including the above mentioned) seen today were : Blue & Great Tit, Robin, Siskin, Long-tailed Tit, Blackbird (several), Jay, Fieldfare, Treecreeper, Dunnock. Grey Wagtail, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Carrion Crow and Jackdaw. Heard only were: Nuthatch, Bullfinch and Redpoll.
A great area that I believe is part of  Marks local patch! I will certainly have a stroll around here again in the near future.


 
 
 
 
 
Spot the Kingfisher!
 
 
Mallards were head bobbing, Spring is not too far away! 
 
On the way back to the car the sight of the balloonists gave an atmospheric view as the sun was setting. I do hope they were well wrapped up!
 
 
 

10 comments:

  1. Nice post Pam, another spot to visit! Thimk we might give it a go for a walk, where is the best place to start from?

    Thanks
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a nice area for a walk around there Pam...I've seen Kingfisher there myself last year

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to read about your ladies pm @ Ladies Pool Pam.....it sounds like a nice spot for the summer with all those pools to look at!

    I spotted your Kingfisher,love the BH Gull pic and those Hot Air Balloons give such atmosphere to your images,well spotted!

    "Keep warm my friend"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom: We parked in a lay by/space along New Wood lane, there is a stile a few yards on from where we parked that leads to the pool. I am not sure whether there would be a parking area off the Belbroughton Road, it might be worth a drive along there to suss it out. Sorry I cannot be of more help, the area is new to me...well the pools are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jason: It will no doubt be on the agenda again through the year, I would imagine it is a good area for Warblers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am pleased you enjoyed the read and images Ruth! I thought somehow the Balloons images would appeal to you.
    Time to batten down the hatches from Friday onwards by all accounts, keep safe and warm Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely read and images Pam. It is always such a thrill to explore a new place and it sounds like a very good discovery. I am very envious of the Kingfisher sighting, I haven't seen one for a very long time and not at all since I have had the camera!!

    I thought I had seen mention of the name of the place on Jason's blog and see from his comment I was right.

    Beautiful, atmospheric photos of the balloons :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Kingfisher was a delight to see Jan...fingers crossed that you will be luckier with a sighting of at least one yourself this year.

    It was good to read your recent blog post, it made me think that Spring/Summer are just around the corner!

    Snow arrived today and plenty of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pam, nice write up. Yes this is a core area of my local patch.
    The pool is fished, so it can be quiet if the rod danglers are out in force.
    A good place to park is at the back of the Parish rooms on Belbroughton Road.
    It remains to be seen what impact the 30 or so houses being built nearby will have on this area, they will back onto the paddocks which adjoin the pool.. yet more over development in my oppinion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mark, thanks for your comments and tip for parking!
    I do hope the new houses do not have a detrimental affect on the wildlife in the area. It is an interesting place to walk/linger and well used judging by the number of people I saw out walking and horse riding on my recent visit!
    I will now have a mental image of your patch when you post of the sightings you have had there on your blog Mark.

    Persistent snow all day today, hopefully it will move on to somewhere else this evening!

    ReplyDelete