Wednesday, 26 March 2014

March is flying by!

Almost the end of March and I have yet to write a  post in this month. I am about to remedy that!

At the start of the month...well the 7th-10th...a weekend visit to Centre Parcs Sherwood Forest was a very welcome break!  I felt shattered by the end of the weekend, nevertheless all the swimming and walking had been good fun and it was great to see plenty of wildlife without really trying.

Species seen over the weekend were:
Robin, Blackbird, Dunnock, Great Tit, Blue Tit, Chaffinch, Bullfinch, Siskin, Pied Wagtail, Stock Dove, Mistle Thrush, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Mute Swan, Greylag, Canada and Egyptian Geese, Pheasant, Moorhen, Coot, Grey Squirrel (numerous), Horse, Rabbit (gathering nesting, a first for us all to see), Toad/Frog (not sure as it was dark), Peacock, Brimstone and Small Tortoiseshell butterflies



 
...........................................................................
 
14th March.
 
A nice surprise in my garden today were 3 Siskins on the feeders and a pair of Bullfinches!
The highlight of a walk around Brake Mill Pools was a Grey Wagtail and a sighting of two Green Woodpeckers feeding alongside each other.
 
The Chase!
 


 
..........................................

 
15th March.
 
The Whittington area was my chosen area for a walk today. There were singing Skylarks aplenty and  a treat to see a mixed flock in great numbers of Winter Thrushes feeding and to see them several times in flight as they were disturbed by a farmer on his tractor. No doubt they were gathering to leave us. A Small Tortoiseshell was the only butterfly seen.
 
The long and winding track.
 
A sunny view.



 
I called in at Mary Stevens Park after my walk. A Chaffinch in song was a delight to see and hear though I have to say people who walked by did not seem to be aware of this delightful bird in song.


 
A Greylag Goose looked lonely as it tried to mingle with the Canada Geese.

 
 
.....................................................
 
19th March.
 
I had a long overdue walk over Wassell Grove in the hope of seeing or hearing a returning Chiffchaff, I was not to be disappointed. It was lovely to see and hear one again.
 


 
A delightful splash of colour!

 
................................................
 
22nd March.
I decided to try Brake Mill Pools area this morning in the hope of seeing/hearing a returning Chiffchaff or Wheatear, neither were present. However Song and Mistle Thrush, Jay, Buzzard and a Wren that was in full song mode being the highlights was good enough for me.



 
24th March.

An unexpected first for my garden!!! That will look good on my weekly BTO Garden Birdwatch count.;-)




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see you're still getting out and about regularly even if the blogging is a bit irregular these days. Your photos look very fine when enlarged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks John and my apologies for the late publishing of your kind comments. It is amazing how quickly the weeks seem to be flying by this year, I am struggling to keep my blog up to date!

    ReplyDelete