Tuesday, 24 March 2015

'Hands of Fatima' door knockers!

On my recent holiday in Tavira (Portugal), I noticed the grand and more often than not well worn door knockers in the form of hands on several ornate, lattice work and brightly painted doors on the walk in to the town square.

The hands are the 'Hands off Fatima'. A Moorish tradition still carried on and legend has it that they are placed on the door to keep away evil spirits. Fatima Zahra was said to be the daughter of the prophet Mohammed.


I think they are like Marmite...and you either love them or hate them.

Here we go:

 












 
These are my favourite door knockers!
 
 
The hotel also had them to display room numbers.
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Mind bogglingly sinister...the remians of souls trapped in wood for eternity, for crimes unmentionable...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree they do look sinister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooooh not sure about these, fascinating to see tho!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha! I said they were like Marmite Ruth! ;-)

    ReplyDelete