Monday, 4 May 2015

May the 4th at Brandon Marsh N R.

Well the force certainly seemed to be with me on this day of May the 4th! Brandon Marsh N R came up trumps today with some super species seen and heard. I will be back to finish this post when I have sorted through my 'record' shots! I just wanted to start the post on the 4th as it is a memorable day for me!

"When April steps aside for May,
Like diamonds all the rain-drops glisten;
Fresh violets open every day:
To some new bird each hour we listen."

-  Lucy Larcom


2 Hobbies, 2 Kestrels and 2 Cuckoos were all in view from  the Ted Jury Hide! Not often 3 super species are seen together and  giving lengthy views! It was difficult to know which birds to view at times as the Cuckoos were fairly active and  the Hobbies looked splendid as they hunted low over the reedbeds! The Kestrels looked quite content to watch the coming and going of the Cuckoos as they perched in a tree. One of the Cuckoos flew down to the edge of the water for a drink, a Coot close by gave it the once over and then swam away!
 
There must have been a recent emergence of St. Mark’s flies, they were everywhere in great numbers hovering with their long legs dangling!
 
Highlight species seen today were Dunlin x1. Ringed Plover x2,  Redshank, Shelduck, Oystercatcher, Great crested Grebes, Common Terns, Sedge and Reed Warblers, Whitethroats,  Chiffchaffs,  Reed Bunting, Jay, Great Spotted Woodpecker and not forgetting our 'Stars' Hobbies, Kestrels and Cuckoos!
 
Butterflies on the wing were Brimstone, Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock.
 
 
Sedge Warblers were very vocal and occasionally obligingly coming out of the reeds!
 

 

Whitethroats were also vocal today and more often than not giving great views!


Cuckoo extravaganza...well it was for me!




 Good to compare the size difference with a Coot that completely ignored the Cuckoo as the Cuckoo lingered for quite awhile when it down for a drink.


Now you see me!


Now you don't!


Now you see me...again! Such delightful Grebes!
 
 
 
 Common Terns were viewed several times seeing off Carrion Crows.
 
 
 
Marsh Marigold.


 Exidia glandulosa, . One of the common names of this Fungus is Black Witches Butter. I think I am correct with the ID unless someone knows differently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exidia_glandulosa

View from the Carlton Hide.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading about this day Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No pressure on me then Ruth.lol

    I hope I can live up to your expectations.;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you certainly can, I've not even heard a Cuckoo yet and you see 2 together + Hobbies and Kestrels too......no wonder you didn't know which way to look!
    Super pics too, Sedge Warblers are super birds and yes they can be quite obliging at posing can't they!
    Hopefully I might add Cuckoo or Hobby to my year list this weekend while visiting RSPB Ynis Hir.

    ReplyDelete