Monday, 29 August 2016

Wheat, Maize, Willow and a Chat.

Three perched Wheatears were a delight to see as I started my walk down the track at Whittington. To say it was overcast was an understatement, mist hung around for the duration of the walk.

 
One of the 3 Wheatears seen (at a distance), 2 females and 1male.
 
 
A party of 15+ Long-tailed Tits were most entertaining as they searched for insects along the hedgerow and in the field of maize. There were a few youngsters still being fed by adults. Super little birds!


 
 
I am going for Willow Warbler...a gut feeling!
 
A distant Whinchat.
 
A flock of 30+ Swallows suddenly appeared overhead, their trills and twitters as they swirled above me feeding on the insects was a welcome sight and sound, I watched them for a few minutes then as quick as they had arrived they had gone and all was silent once again.
 
It was lovely to catch up with some of our delightful summer visitors before they head off on their long journeys to warmer climes for the winter.
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Wheatears & Whinchats, wonderful birds and I've not seen either this year yet, love the Whinchat pic, a peeping eyebrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! It was peeping Ruth!

    Hopefully you will see some Wheatears and Whinchats very soon my friend.;-)

    ReplyDelete