Sunday, 26 February 2017

Exhausted Goldcrests! 19/02/17

On a walk along Caunsall Canal last Sunday morning I spoke with a gentleman birder who was passing and we exchanged our sightings which as it happened were nothing out of the ordinary, he did say that he had been watching displaying Goldcrests. As I carried on towards the area at Whittington Lock where Goldcrests are normally to be seen I spotted what looked to be a bird falling from a tree to the ground. On inspection with binoculars it turned out to be 2 Goldcrests that were motionless and looked for all the world to be dead! I took a few photo's and was amazed at what I had just witnessed. Then after a couple of minutes to my further amazement one the birds took flight followed under a minute later by the second bird! I presumed they were the displaying/ defending territories Goldcrests that the gentleman had been watching earlier.

The birds must have been locked together by claws or beaks as it looked as though just one bird had 'floated' down to the ground.

I was in the right place at the right time!

A  quote from Oscar Wilde:
To expect the unexpected shows a thoroughly modern intellect.





 
 

 





 

6 comments:

  1. Goldcrests are so active that it's difficult to imagine them ever becoming exhausted. It just shows how much energy birds put into their displays at this time of year, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have recently spotted male Blackbirds fighting and Dunnocks x3 chasing around the garden..Spring is springing!
      Good to see hear from you, John.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It was a sad scene initially which turned very swiftly in to a happy scene, Si!

      Delete
  3. Fascinating stuff Pam, I've never witnessed anything like this, so glad there was a happy ending too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was an unusual event Ruth! As the saying goes 'keep them peeled' because you never know what is around the corner. lol

    ReplyDelete