Friday, 31 January 2014

Mud, Mud, Glorious Mud!

What a month! Rain, rain go away!

Muddy paths and wellies has been the norm this January.

Not many walks partaken due to the inclement weather but those that were taken were enjoyed.

Brake Mill Pools has been visited numerous times and on all but my last visit there on Wednesday (29th) there have been Goosanders on the water and lately Tufted Duck numbers have increased.

The fields alongside Brake Lane have held huge numbers of Fieldfares and Redwings recently and a couple of Common Buzzards were a delight to see perched on fence posts.

It has been a joy to see Blackcaps feeding on the fruit that I spike on to apple trees in my garden the last few weeks, a male and female seem to be alternating their visits.

January has passed by quickly which is not a bad thing considering the weather, hopefully February will be a much drier and sunnier month.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 


 Wychbury Hill and Obelisk


 
 
 
I believe this to be Yellow Brain Tremella mesenterica
 
and this to be Turkey Tail Trametes versicolor

 

4 comments:

  1. An interesting post Pam. I have visited Brake Mill a few times this winter and seen varying numbers of Goosander.

    By the way, your fungi id's are spot on!

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jason for your kind comment and confirmation of my fungi id's! Both are much appreciated.

    I might bump into you soon at Brake Mill then. I am waiting for the return of the Swallows now, I have missed seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see another post from you, Pam. Despite the miserable weather I've noticed that the birds are already in the mood for spring. A Blackbird was singing loudly in the dark the other morning (I've been working nights).

    ReplyDelete



  4. Thank you kindly, John. On my walk this morning I again heard Great Spotted Woodpeckers drumming, I first heard drumming on the 11th January! Spring is not far away! Your singing Blackbird reminds me of a song:

    Blackbird singing in the dead of night, take these broken wings and learn to fly!

    ReplyDelete