Monday, 25 July 2011

Walk updates.

Dowles Brook, Wyre Forest. 24th July.
An enjoyable few hours was had walking through Dowles Brook. The highlight bird today was a Dipper. It was a little distant and trying to see it through all the tree foliage was at times a little frustrating especially to get a decent pic of it. Nevertheless it was lovely watching this lovely little bird as it dipped and fished. Bullfinch, Chiffchaff, Treecreeper and Raven were other highlight birds.
The stars today were the Silver-washed Fritillaries, there were numerous of them seen on the walk. Speckled Wood, Ringlet, Meadow Brown, Large and Small White, Skipper sp, Six-spot Burnet moth and a pale looking Lizard were also seen on this (for a change) warm and sunny Sunday!

Silver-washed Fritillary.
There were several of these butterflies seen on the walk today but not many settled for more than a few seconds at a time. A delightful butterfly.

Betony.

Selfheal.
Dipper.
I was surprised to see that the third white eye-lid which protects the eye when they are submerged is clearly shown in this very record photo.

Toad.
I almost trod on this tiny little toad, it was no bigger than 4cm! It soon made it's way into the dried leaves!


Holly Blue.



Bunkers Hill, bridleway walk. 22nd July.
I enjoyed a couple of hours of 'me time' walking along the bridleway to the small wooded area and back again! The walk is not a long one by any means but I do like to linger and take in all that is around me on such walks. I lose myself on my 'solitude' walks and think only of what I can see or hear around me, not often I get a chance to do this so I make the most of it. The highlight birds today were the Hirundines, Treecreeper, Chaffinch, Robin, Common Whitethroat, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Yellowhammer, Sparrowhawk (which was briefly mobbed by a House Martin)and two Buzzards. Large and Small White and Small Tortoiseshell were the only butterflies seen, though as it was cloudy and a few spots of rain came down this did not surprise me.

This male Blackbird was a sorry looking sight though judging by the worms he had found he is a good provider! No wonder he looked worn out! I am sure once he has finished moulting he will look pristine and be the smartest looking Blackbird in the area.lol!


Yellowhammer.
I wasn't surprised to see this Yellowhammer in it's usual spot, it hasn't let me down...yet.lol! A lovely bird.

Gatekeeper.
Common Buzzard.
Common Whitethroat.

Stewponey Lock and Wharf, Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal. 17th July.
A dull and rainy Sunday didn't get any better as the day wore on but it was still good to walk in the afternoon for a couple of hours along the canal.It was (not surprisingly) quiet of people and wildlife. The Ducklings were definately the highlight today!



Brake Lane, Hagley. 9th July.
A sunny Saturday morning saw me off to Brake Lane and parking up for a change by the Lake and walking from that area, well a change is as good as a rest.lol! Plenty of Mallard families on the water along with Coot and Moorhen families, I was pleased to see the four Cygnets are still safe and growing up now! Plenty of Swallows and House Martins were swooping over the paddocks, it looks as though they have had a good breeding season. Treecreeper, Song Thrush, Goldfinch, Dunnock, Blue & Great Tit, Jackdaw, Woodpigeon, Canada Geese and a Green Woodpecker (which was actually seen today and not just heard as is the norm) made up the remaining birds seen today. Not a huge species list by any means but each one a delight to view! I am finding that I am enjoying my birdwatching much more on walks such as this one, not seeing large numbers of bird species means that I take more notice of each bird I see instead of just writing down the name of the species on my list and heading off to find the next one. It is more the other way around, as I wait patiently in an area the birds come into view more often than not.
I saw my first of the year Ringlet today, Comma and White butterflies were also seen on my very pleasant walk.

Hawkweed sp.


A field almost full of Hawkweed, it looked a treat in the sunshine!
Mouths to feed!
Ringlet.
Swan (Mallard, Coot and Moorhen))Lake.
Poppy and Insect sp!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Pam. I enjoyed the walks too. Now I'm off to work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pleased that you enjoyed the walks, thanks John.

    Hope your work day went well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too thoroughly enjoyed your walks Pam,they were a nice escape for me.....and your new home page pic is a stunner......lovely birds to see aren't they!
    Your Dipper image is brilliant,great timing eh? lol
    I've still to see a Ringlet and hope when I do to get as good a view as you did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pleased to hear that you also enjoyed my walks Ruth! The Yellowhammer is a lovely bird, I am lucky to have a couple of local areas where I know I am almost certain to see and hear them.

    Great timing with the Dipper but bad light and distance for the photo. It was good to have good views of one though!

    I have only seen a couple of Ringlets so I was very lucky I think. Hopefully if the sunshines at the weekend you may see Ringlets and a few other nice Butterflies Ruth. Enjoy your weekend and thanks for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete