Sunday, 4 September 2011

September arrives!

September has arrived and I am still waiting for those endless Summer sunshine days! The sunny days have been few and far between being replaced by long grey days! Hopefully September will bring some sunshine. The 1st day of September was sunny and warm, in fact very warm as I picked runner beans at a local farm! I picked almost 8kg and the hardest part was carrying them to the shop to be weighed!

Friday 2nd September started well after spotting a Brimstone Moth resting up in my porch, my first of this year. After taking a few pics of the moth I headed off to a local Fisheries, the sun was shining and all was well with the world, Autumn, poppycock I thought, it is still summertime! However the sight of the fading vegetation in the hedgerows and the berry laden trees with some having lost some if not all of their leaves, the Elderberry trees/shrubs seemed to have fared the worst. Autumn had arrived and I should resign myself to the fact! Let's say I will try.lol!
Swallows and Martins were in a feeding frenzy over the paddocks, best to make the most of them I thought as they will soon be off on their long, long journey! A flock of Goldfinches were busily flying from trees to the thistles and back to the trees again and a flock of 15+ Starlings were perched at the top a tall tree! A flurry of birds were on and around a couple of berried trees and an Elderberry tree. I watched for quite awhile as a Blackcap (m), Blue & Great Tits, Long-tailed Tits and a Chifchaff vied for territory of the trees.lol! The Chiffchaff was calling occasionally, a soft solemn sounding call and later I heard a Robin singing it's mournful song, roll on Spring 2012 when the calls and songs will be much more cheerful sounding.lol! A Buzzard was heard mewing for the best part of my walk, though unusually for here it was not seen. Greenfinch, Common Whitethroat, a juvenile Bullfinch and the usual Corvids were other bird species seen. A few Gatekeeper, Small Copper and Speckled Wood butterflies were flitting around, the Speckled Woods looked very fresh compared to the Gatekeepers and Small Coppers that looked rather worn.












September

The goldenrod is yellow;
The corn is turning brown;
The trees in apple orchards
With fruit are bending down.

The gentian's bluest fringes
Are curling in the sun;
In dusky pods the milkweed
Its hidden silk has spun.

The sedges flaunt their harvest
In every meadow-nook;
And asters by the brookside
Make asters in the brook.

From dewy lanes at morning
The grapes' sweet odors rise;
At noon the roads all flutter
With yellow butterflies.

By all these lovely tokens
September days are here,
With summer's best of weather,
And autumn's best of cheer.

by Helen Hunt Jackson

6 comments:

  1. Summer usually makes an appearance when the school holidays end, though the forecast is not very optimistic. Actually autumn is my favourite time of year - I love being out and about when everyone else is indoors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the first couple of days of September led us into a false sense of security with the sunshine John...all downhill this week! Spring is a favourite season of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you had better hunker-down, gather your nuts, and prepare for a long winter, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am off to hibernate Michael.lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to see your Autumnal pics Pam,we heard a Chiffchaff in full song at the w/end.....our NW ones must be happier for some reason! lol!
    Mind I think your solemn one was right as the Autumn winds have well and truly arrived up here today......you've only got to look at my horizontal fence panel to see that!!!
    The poem is a nice addition to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ruth! Glad you enjoyed the pics and poem.
    Strong gusts all day here today but my fencing is still vertical! My garden has been quiet for most of the day with just the Crows, Magpies and Woodpigeons battling the wind early this morning for the ground feed!

    ReplyDelete