Thursday, 16 February 2012

Brrrrrr ....Brake Mill Pool....11/02/2012

Brrr indeed!! It was -6.9c at 6.45am so I wasn't in any rush to set out early, I waited until 9.00am with the temperature outside now being a heady -2.6c. On arrival the pool was partly frozen but had defrosted on my walk back past the lake just under a couple of hours later! On the water were Mallard, Moorhen, Tufted Duck, Mute Swan family, BHG & LBBG x2, Heron and Coot. I noticed that the cold temperatures had not cooled the ardour of the Coots!! At one point a male Coot chased off a young pretender, they can certainly shift in water, they looked like two speedboats racing! I walked along the public footpath that leads towards Stakenbridge Lane, having past the first paddock I reached the wooded areas that are on each side of the path, I often linger in this area for quite a while as it is usually quite productive. The sun by now was shining brightly and I had to use the tree trunks as a shade from the sun or else I would not have seen anything at all. I was entertained by the sweet twittering of a flock of Siskins feeding high in the Alders, Blue & Great Tits were seemingly everywhere and I was thrilled with the sighting of two Treecreepers. I was even more thrilled to catch sight of a Kingfisher as it perched for a few seconds on an overhanging branch over the stream, the stream runs off from the Pool and is between two gardens. How lovely to have a stream through your garden and see such lovely birds as Kingfishers and Grey Wagtails, maybe one day I will win the Lottery and have such a garden.lol! Other highlight birds were Nuthatch, Blackbird, Long-tailed Tit, Robin, Chaffinch, Jay, Great Spotted Woodpecker and a Sparrowhawk. An enjoyable but very cold walk/amble today.
Garden update. The female Blackcap is still daily in my garden, the downside since the recent cold snap is that I now have at least 6 Blackbirds in my garden for the majority of the day and she is having to share the apples and pears with more Blackbirds. No doubt she will soon be on her way, I shall miss seeing her. The Redwing has eaten every berry that was on the Holly tree, it was joined by a few more Redwings eventually! I had 5 Redwings and 1 Fieldfare (briefly) in the garden during the cold snap. I also had a fleeting visit on the 10th of 3 Redpoll(sp) that flew in to a Silver Birch, they are a first for my garden. A female Sparrowhawk enjoyed a rest on one of my nest boxes yesterday (15th), she looked as though she had just enjoyed a good meal!

6 comments:

  1. Kingfisher would certainly be an impressive addition to the garden list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It certainly would John! I am just as happy with my Dunnocks and Blackbirds though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear (& see)that your Blackcap is still a regular visitor to your garden Pam,what a treat!
    Your icy amble was a treat with the Kingfisher sighting wasn't it,that's a super Robin pic and the GSW is a stunner......love the sunburst effect,brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha! I thought I would brighten the GSW silhouette image a little, glad you like it Ruth! I was really pleased to see the Kingfisher, I know the winter has been predominately mild but when the cold snaps happen you do wonder about their survival.

    Thanks for your kind commemts Ruth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww you've shattered my illusion about the GSW pic now,lol......did you tweak it then?????

    ReplyDelete
  6. Afraid so Ruth! Well...it needed a bit of oomph.lol!!!

    ReplyDelete