Sunday, 13 February 2011

Egg mystery solved!....12/02/2011

An early morning return to Brake Lane this morning and I am pleased to report that the 'Egg' mystery is solved. Since my visit on Tuesday the field has been completely covered in eggs...boiled eggs...though the contents had been eaten by the Gulls and Corvids. I have never seen (or perhaps noticed) the spreading of eggs over a stubble field before. I would imagine that the calcium carbonate in the eggshell is good for the soil, yes soil not soul.lol!! I found a couple of useful tips on the Internet re: Eggshells.

EGG SHELL
Crush and add to the Worm Composter: Real good for worm composting.

Eggshell Uses In the Garden
Composters like to add crushed eggshells to the compost to add calcium to the mix. Other ways to enrich your garden include sprinkling the crushed shells like a light layer of mulch over the garden beds, or putting a handful in the holes when you plant seedlings. This last method is particularly effective for plants which suffer from blossom end rot, a condition which causes tomatoes and other veggies to develop black patches on one end. Blossom end rot is caused by insufficient calcium or poor absorption, so a ready supply at root level is a good preventive.


Photo's of the 'infamous' egg strewn stubble field.




A Skylark was heard but no matter how hard I looked not seen, it must have been very high up in the blue sky! Lovely to hear once again. Highlights today were 2 Buzzards soaring and mewing and shortly afterwards joined by a 3rd Buzzard. Great spotted Woodpeckers, 3 individual males, were a delight to watch. Two of the GSW's were each pecking at an area on tree branches after insects and the third GSW was on the trunk of a Birch tree peeling the thin papery plates of the trunk in search of insects. A paddock held 11 Pied Wagtails and a Green Woodpecker. Chaffinch and Long-tailed Tits were in fewer numbers today than on my last couple of visits, no doubt now dispersing to their chosen breeding territories. A Song Thrush was in full voice but not visible in the Pine tree plantation and a couple of Goldcrests and a small flock of Siskins were a delight to see today. Rooks aplenty in the fields and a Raven was heard 'gronking' as it perched high in a tree, then it took flight, not good views of it but great to know they are in the area. Nuthatch x 3 were also seen, it has just come to me that 3 is a popular number today! The créme de la créme today was undoubtedly the Redpoll sp feeding in the Alders, my first of the year and a joy to see. Crocus, Cyclamen and Snowdrops in bloom and a couple of Ladybirds were sighted on the walk, so a bit of colour finally arriving and Insects awakening.



I was out for just under 4 hours walking and lingering on a wonderful sunny Saturday morning! With today's nonstop cold rain I am beginning to wonder if I dreamt yesterdays warm(ish) sunny day.lol!!







2 comments:

  1. How nice to see your lovely spring images Pam,I was hoping for a Skylark myself last week but nothing here.....I'll try again later this week!
    I'm glad the egg mystery has been solved,we put egg shells in our compost bin but always eat the contents first......imagine hard-boiling that many eggs!!!! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It won't be long before we are seeing more and more signs of spring, a refreshing season.

    The mind boggles at the quantity of eggs that had been boiled. I wonder where the eggs came from Ruth, that is puzzling me now. I shall have to stop being so curious.lol!

    Thanks for your comments and 'Good Luck' with the Skylarks.

    ReplyDelete