Sunday, 24 June 2012

Full Circle....23/06/2012

'Full circle' being the circular walk from Brake Lane down to the bridleway then Brake Mill Pool then the bridleway between the paddocks leading back to Brake Lane. A pleasant sunny start to the day though the wind was to pick up before I had finished my walk. Swallows and Swifts hawking the fields, Skylarks singing up high and a soaring Buzzard were the first birds seen as I walked towards the bridleway and a young Blackbird was spotted waiting patiently to be fed by it's parents. A single Linnet perched on a wire not far away from a Swallow which was trilling away happily, lovely to hear. A Chiffchaff was heard as I walked up the muddy bridleway, I lingered for a while in the hope of seeing Goldcrests but soon gave up as my wellies were beginning to sink into the mud!! With the recent rain the vegetation along the path adjacent to the wood had grown immensely since my last walk along here, it was a case of arms in the air to avoid the nettles and brambles! The only insects seen were the odd Bee! As I neared the end of the path I could hear a lady who was walking on the opposite side of the paddock calling her dog, I soon found out why as a Fox came running under the fence about eight foot away from me. The Fox had not noticed me, it turned to see (supposedly) if the dog had given up the chase! I could see that it's left eye was very red and sore looking and I reckon it was blind in that eye, as it turned to head for the wooded area it then spotted me and fled! It looked to me to be a young fox, I hope that what looked like the loss of sight will not impede it too much. A Jay, Robin, Blue and Great Tit were seen along this stretch of the walk and it was good to watch plenty of Swifts and Swallows and a few House Martins hawking the paddock for insects, great to see that these three species seem to be doing well in this area! The paddock was a colourful sight filled with Poppies and what I believe to be Field Hawkweed, when the sun shone it looked a real treat! The walk along the public footpath close by Brake Mill Pool was not productive with birds but still a pleasing walk and by this time the wind had increased, so what with the noise of the wind through the trees and the noisy Jackdaws (bless em) it was hard to hear anything else that was around! As I walked back along the path I spotted a Green Woodpecker fly to a tree trunk, I often hear them yaffling but not often see them so this was a pleasing sighting. However after uploading my images I noticed that there was also a Great Spotted Woodpecker higher up the same tree trunk!

A good walk today, I just hope my next walk here will be in walking boots and not wellies!

4 comments:

  1. Oooh I love Poppies Pam,your pictures are a delight,what a lovely walk you describe!
    Super captures of both the Fox and Green Woodpecker too,amazingly I've not seen the latter yet this year!
    I hope that your next walk in the area won't be quite so soggy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ruth!
    It was a lovely walk, good to be out in the sunshine albeit very windy!
    Poppies must be very resilient when you think of all the battering with the rains and strong winds they have endured of late! They were a joy to see, enough to brighten anyone's day!

    I hope you get your Green Woodpecker soon Ruth and that your weather brightens too.
    Enjoy Anglesey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam. It sounded like a lovely walk, it really is a pleasure to be able to get a walk in sunshine this year! Well done with capturing the Fox on camera, as you say, let's hope the eye won't cause it problems.

    The Poppies are a real picture and I also loved the Robin photo, quite a red theme going on with those, the GSW and also the Fox :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jan, thanks for your comments.

    I see what you mean with the red theme, I hadn't thought of that.lol! Well spotted :-)

    Let's hope for a few more sunshine walks as I am sure there will be before the summer is over.

    ReplyDelete