Friday, 27 January 2012

Walking over the Edge....22/01/2012

Kinver Edge A sunny, cool and blustery day but good to be out for a walk and so did many other folk think the same as there were plenty of walkers out over Kinver Edge this afternoon. However away from the madding crowd Goldcrest, Treecreeper, Wren, Blue Tit, Pied Wagtail, Green Woodpecker ( a great over-view of it in flight), Redwing, Raven and 3x Buzzard were seen. The Buzzards were a joy to se especially as one of them put on a great aerial display and performed 'a roller coaster' three times before flying out of view! This is the first time I have witnessed a Buzzard displaying, what a treat to see! Not a great species list by any means but all of them 'special' to see in their own way. Turkeytail Fungi was seen on several decaying logs and stumps. The views from Kinver Edge are really good and would have been much better if it had not clouded over.
23/01/2012 AM: Two Goldcrests were in my garden this morning, one would have been a delight but to see two was even better! ................. ................. PM: A walk along the public footpath from Roman Way and I had my first sighting this year of House Sparrows, such a pity they are so sparse these days. There was a flock of 15+ in the hedgerow and trees, I stood and watched them for awhile and felt sad that they are no longer a common garden bird, well at least in my garden they aren't. Collared Doves (also my first of the year) are another bird that I do not see as often so it was good to see a few perched in the trees. Plenty of Blackbirds were searching the fallen leaves and small flocks of Green, Gold and Chaffinch were seen several times. Other highlight birds seen along the footpath were Wren, Dunnock, Robin, Blue & Great Tit and Long-tailed Tit, no doubt some of the gardens close by provide feeders as this area is usually good for the aforementioned bird species. A Great Spotted Woodpecker was heard drumming several times throughout my walk but I did not see one, the usual Corvids were in and around the paddocks and fields along with Pied Wagtail and a flock of 30+ Redwings.

4 comments:

  1. Gosh, Kinver Edge...that takes me back. I havent been for years but I used to go there with my folks when I was younger

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were a lot of families out on walks Jason, always good to see! Much better for them than being stuck in front of a PC.lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to read of your latest walks Pam,your Green Woodpecker view sounds like a good one as well as your displaying Buzzards!
    I love the last pic with the distant tree in the field,a really super shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ruth. It was good to see a Green Woodpecker from a different perspective and the Buzzards were a delight, super birds!
    The view in the last pic is my favourite to be honest.lol!

    ReplyDelete